Short Term Visa
If you are planning a short visit to Belgium for up to 90 days or less, you may need to apply for a Schengen visa. Belgium is one of the 26 European countries forming the Schengen Area which have no border controls between them. These countries also issue a common visa, the Schengen visa for a stay of up to to 90 days in any period of 180 days. Please note that the following essentials must be met by all applicants submitting their applications for visa.
- Passport should have at least two blank pages.
- Passport should be valid for at least 3 months from the date on which the applicant intends to leave the SCHENGEN territory, or, in the case of multiple journeys the date on which the applicant intends to leave it for the last time
- Applications are only accepted within 3 months of the requested date of arrival
Schengen Common Information for India
Read here important information on Schengen in India and specific details on Indian passports validity: Click here
The overseas travel medical insurance valid for all Schengen-countries has to cover the applicant for at least 30000 Euros or equivalent, for all risks e.g. accident, illness, medical emergency evacuation, repatriation of mortals remains etc. The policy has to clearly specify the period of validity and has to cover the entire duration of the trip including the date of arrival and departure. Please click on the following link for the approved list of insurance companies in India.
Passport Collection Process:
The collection of passports at the Visa Application Center can be done by :
The Applicant himself
Third party collection of the documents or passports will not be permitted, except in the following cases:
- Immediate Family Member (that is Parents, Children, Spouse)
- One member of a group collecting for the entire group
- A person collecting on behalf of Government officials if authorized on the Government letter head or department
If any of the above comes for passport collection they need to carry the following documents:
- Original Government ID card
- Original ICR
- Original authorization letter from applicant
It is also mandatory to mention applicant’s personal address.
Applicant's passport will not be couriered to their travel agencies 'addresses as directed by the Embassy/Consulate.
- For Seaman applicants, the passports can be collected by the applicant personally from VFS Global or the passport will be couriered to the seaman’s residential address only.
- In case of a business applicant, if the applicant wishes to receive the passport to his/her office, then the same needs to be mentioned in the covering letter and the applicant’s office address needs to be mentioned in the courier request form.
- For Legalisations courier is not mandatory.
- For application withrdrawal cases, the passport needs to be collected from VFS Global only.
Personal appearance : after filling in the application form on Visa On web, the applicant’s personal appearance at the VFS Visa Application Center is required in order to register the biometric fingerprints data along with a live photograph. The following applicants are however exempted of the personal appearance :
- Applicants for a national long term visa D
- Applicants for a Schengen short term visa C below 12 years of age
- Applicants for a Schengen short term visa C who have already registered with any Schengen member state their biometric fingerprints data along with a live photograph not longer than 59 months ago. In case of doubt it is advised to opt anew for the personal appearance.
The applicable visa fee in INR is as per the current exchange rate. The same is subject to change without notice.
The Visa fee is non-refundable.
|Duration||Visa Fees in INR||Visa Fees in Euros|
|Short Term Visa||4620||60|
|Children between 6-12 years||2695||35|
Exemption of Visa Fee
Short Term Schengen visa:
- Children less than 6 years old
- Family members of an EU citizen
A “EU citizen” is a citizen of one of the European Union countries, of Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland.
The following persons are defined as family members:
- the spouse;
- the partner with whom the EU citizen has contracted a registered partnership
- the direct descendants who are under the age of 21 or are dependant as well as those of the spouse or partner as defined above; or
- the dependant direct relatives in the ascending line and those of the spouse or partner as defined above.
1309 INR per application for Delhi, Mumbai & Chennai Centers
1540 INR per application for Chandigarh, Kolkata, Bangalore, Ahmedabad, Pune & Hyderabad Centers
There is an optional facility where the VAC can courier your passport back to you for a small extra fee of 300 INR per passport per individual.
Which documents must you present?
You will find all conditions on the Federal Public Service Home Affairs Immigration Office website, the only Belgian competent authority for the admittance, stay, residence and removal of foreigners.
One Extra Photocopy of the entire set is required for short stay applications.
The photographs must be:
- No more than 6-months old
- 35-40mm in width
- Close up of your head and top of your shoulders so that your face takes up 70 -80% of the photograph
- In sharp focus and clear
- Of high quality with no ink marks or creases
The photographs must:
- Show you looking directly at the camera
- Show your skin tones naturally
- Have appropriate brightness and contrast
- Be printed on high quality paper, and at high resolution Photographs taken with a digital camera must be high quality colour and printed on photo-quality paper.
Style and lighting
The photographs must be:
- Be colour neutral
- Show your eyes open and clearly visible-no hair across your eyes
- Show you facing square on to the camera, not looking over one shoulder (portrait style) or tilted, and showing both edges of your face clearly
- Be taken with a plain light-coloured background
- Be taken with uniform lighting and not show shadows or flash reflections on your face and no red eye
Glasses and head covers
If you wear glasses:
- Be colour neutral
- The photograph must show your eyes clearly with no flash reflection off the glasses, and no tinted lenses (if possible, avoid heavy frames - wear lighter framed glasses if you have them)
- Make sure that the frames do not cover any part of your eyes.
Head coverings :
- Are not permitted except for religious reasons, but your facial features from bottom of chin to top of forehead and both edges of your face must be clearly shown.
Expression and frame
Your photographs must:
- Show you alone (no chair backs, toys or other people visible), looking at the camera with a neutral expression and your mouth closed.
As a general rule, a decision will be taken by the Embassy/Consulate within 15 days from the date appearing on the stamp affixed to your travel document and indicating that your application is admissible. However, this deadline may be extended up to 30 days and even, exceptionally, 60 days, if a more detailed examination of your application and/or additional documents are required. In that case, your application will be sent to the Aliens Office in Belgium, which will take the final decision.
When the file is presented to the Aliens Office in Belgium, the Embassy / Consulate General of Belgium shares the reference number of your file with you. This number enables you to contact the Immigration Office in order to check on the status of your file (Antwerpsesteenweg 59B, 1000 Brussels, T: +32.2.793.80.00, F: +32.2.274.66.91, email@example.com).
Furthermore, using this file number, you may check on the status of your visa application on the Immigration Office website. With your passport number and last name, you can also track your visa application on this web site (click here).
The Embassy / Consulate General of Belgium will inform you in each instance in writing, by telephone or orally about the decision that is finally taken concerning your visa application.