Every applicant, including children/infants, has to submit his/her Schengen visa application in person and by appointment only on their appointment date, which needs to be booked online (see Schedule an Appointment) by the applicant.
For Non EU citizens who are not sure whether a Schengen visa is required to travel to the Schengen Area, please click Do I need a visa? to find out.
Applicants, who intend to travel to visit and stay with family/friends legally residing in Italy, need to apply as Visitor Family/Friends.
Applicant must at least meet the following criteria in order to be eligible to submit a Schengen visa application:
- holding a valid passport/travel document
- holding a valid UK residence permit. In case applicant holds a short stay visa for the UK, a C type visa (see example here), then applicant needs to apply for a Schengen visa from his/her residence country.
- applying for a short stay visa: Tourist (including Minors), Visitor Family/Friends, Business, EEA/EU and Swiss national family member or Airport Transit
Applicants residing in Northern Ireland or Scotland, which come under the jurisdiction of the Consulate General of Italy in Edinburgh, can only submit their visa application at the VFS Italy Visa Application Centre in Edinburgh (see here).
Applicants residing in England or Wales, which come under the jurisdiction of the Consulate General of Italy in London, can only submit their visa application at the VFS Italy Visa Application Centres in London or Manchester.
|Visa Category||Visa fee (in Euro)||Visa fee (in GBP)||VFS Service fee (in GBP)|
|Tourism/Visitor Family & Friends/Conference||60||53.40||14.65|
|Children less than 6 years old||0||0||14.65|
|Children between 6 and 12 years old||35||31.20||14.65|
|Nationals of countries with a visa facilitation agreement with the European Union: Albania, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bosnia – Herzegovina, Georgia, Macedonia, Russian Federation, Serbia and Ukraine||35||31.20||14.65|
|EXEMPTION VISA FEES||-||-||-|
|Organised groups of school pupils/students accompanied by teachers on study/educational trip; only applicable if applicants have a formal invitation from an educational institution in Hungary.||0||0||14.65|
|(scientific) researchers from third countries||0||0||14.65|
|Representatives of non-profit organisations (up to 25 years old) actively participating in conferences/events (sports, cultural or educational) organised by non-profit organisations.||0||0||14.65|
Applicable visa fee, in Pound Sterling (£), is as per the current exchange rate and may be subject to change without notice.
VFS service fee (inclusive of VAT) is charged per visa application, in addition to the applicable visa fee.
All fees can be paid by cash (except in Manchester) or Credit/Debit card.
Cheque payments and direct bank transfers are not accepted.
All fees are non-refundable.
The list of documents below is not an exhaustive list of documents and the applicant can always be asked to provide additional information/documents, if desired by the Mission.
Both the standard and the supporting documentation have to be recent, i.e. not older than 1 month, and need to be provided for every Schengen visa application.
Applicants always have to bring and present their original documents, but they only need to submit photocopies of the same; unless the requirements specify that an original document has to be submitted.
Before gathering the required documents mentioned below, applicants are advised to read the requirements under Overview (see here) in order to ensure they are entitled to apply for the chosen visa category.
For Minors, please click here.
STANDARD DOCUMENTATION FOR SCHENGEN VISA APPLICATION
- Visa application form (original) (see here)
Passport (original and photocopy)
Signed passport, at least 2 adjacent blank pages for visa purposes, must be valid for at least 90 days beyond the return date of the trip to the Schengen Area and has to be issued within the last 10 years on the day of leaving the Schengen Area.
Extended passport may still be valid, but when older than 10 years the passport is no longer acceptable; in that case applicant first needs to apply for a new passport.
UK Residence permit (original and photocopy)
UK Residence permit, endorsed in the passport or issued as a Biometrics card, must be valid for at least 90 days beyond the return date of the trip to the Schengen Area; C type visitor visa (see here) is not acceptable.
Photograph (original) (see here)
- SUPPORTING DOCUMENTATION FOR SCHENGEN VISA APPLICATION
Proof of current occupation
- Employer letter (original): recent (less than 1 month old), signed, headed letter (addressed to the Mission, name and position of the signee and confirming applicant’s employment)
- Student letter (original): recent (less than 1 month old), signed, UK school/college/university letter (addressed to the Mission, name and position of the signee and confirming applicant’s enrolment)
- Domestic worker (original): recent (less than 1 month), signed employer letter/proof of tax payment (P60) must be accompanied with employer’s passport/ID card
Self- employment letter (original): recent (less than 1 month old), signed, headed letter (addressed to the Mission, name and position of the signee and confirming applicant’s self-employment) and obtained from (if applicable):
- applicant’s accountant: when applicant’s company’s accountancy is done by an external/independent accountant
- solicitor: when applicant’s company has been registered by a solicitor
- bank manager: when applicant’s company has a business bank account
- Receiving Benefits: recent original letter obtained from local Jobcentre or Pension Service
- Not receiving Benefits: cover letter explaining applicant’s financial situation
Housewife/man (only applicable to married couples): applicant’s may be sponsored by their spouse/registered partner; in these cases the following needs to be provided:
- marriage certificate (original + copy): when this document was issued outside the EU and is not in English or Italian, then it should be translated by a certified translator in the UK
- spouse/registered partner’s passport (original + copy)
- spouse/registered partner’s proof of occupation (as in B.1.a, b or c)
- spouse/registered partner’s proof of funds
- spouse/registered partner’s cover letter (signed & dated) confirming sponsorship
Proof of funds
- Latest 3 months UK current account bank statements showing applicant’s name, address and an end balance dated within the last month on the visa application submission date; balance needs to show a minimum amount of £ 50.00/day of stay in the Schengen Area + outstanding accommodation and travel fees (alternatively online bank account printouts are also accepted).
- Travellers’ cheques covering the same amount as explained under a.
Proof of travel (airplane, train, boat, coach, (hired) car)
- Fully paid return travel tickets: mentioning applicant’s name and travel dates to & from the Schengen Area
- When travelling by car: car registration, car insurance, return travel tickets (ferry or Eurotunnel) mentioning the car’s registration number and driver’s driving licence. If applicant is not the driver, then driver’s cover letter (signed & dated) confirming joint travel with applicant and travel dates need to be provided too.
When travel tickets have been paid through travel agency, then a receipt, an invoice or a payment confirmation is also required.
Proof of accommodation
Applicant has to submit the original invitation letter from the host in Italy (Original Invitation Letter). The invitation letter must be addressed to the Italian Consulate, dated and duly signed, confirming travel period and address of stay, with a photocopy of the host’s ID/passport.
If the host in Italy is a non-EU citizen, a copy of the host’s Residence Permit in Italy ( Permesso di Soggiorno) is required.
Travel insurance (all-risk medical travel insurance)
Travel Insurance written in English covering the entire period of the intended stay in the Schengen area, clearly showing the applicant’s name, the geographical coverage area ( all the Schengen countries) and the minimum coverage for medical emergency and repatriation equal or superior of € 30,000.
Please provide one recent colour photograph (not more than 6 months old) of yourself, meeting the following requirements:
- Taken against a light (white or off-white) background so that features are distinguishable and contrast against the background.
- Clear quality and with the face in focus
- Full face: non-smiling, no sunglasses, no hat/cap or any head covering, unless the applicant wears such items because of his/her religious belief or ethnic background
- Printed on normal photographic paper (camera print)
- Photograph attached (glued) to the Visa Application Form
If the photographs presented do not meet these requirements (see examples here), then the visa application will be considered incomplete and applicant will be asked to take new photographs in the photo booth in the visa application centre.
Every applicant can submit his/her Schengen visa application up to 3 months before the intended travel date to the Schengen Area.
The minimum processing time of a visa application is 5 working days, so applicants are advised to leave enough time - between the appointment date and travel date - for the Mission to process their visa application; no guarantees can be given on the visa application’s return date as delays may occur.
For certain nationalities the visa application needs consultation from the other Schengen countries and therefore the minimum processing time takes 10 working days.
In order to avoid any delays in the visa application process, it is paramount that the visa application is complete and its documents submitted are as per the Mission’s requirements (see Documents Required for the different visa categories).
Applicants also need to be aware that, especially during busy season around Easter, Summer holidays (July and August) and Christmas, the appointments (see Schedule an Appointment) are being booked very quickly as the Mission only processes a fixed amount of visa applications on a daily basis.
Furthermore applicants need to consider that VFS/Mission’s closures and holidays (see Public Holidays/Closures) may extend the visa application processing time.
Therefore VFS recommends all applicants:
- to book their appointment as soon as they know they’ll be travelling
- to ensure that their visa application’s documentation meets the Mission’s requirements
- to leave enough processing time for the Mission
Applicants submitting their visa application in our satellite centre in Manchester need to calculate 2 extra working days to their minimum processing time as their visa application will first be dispatched to the VFS London office, from where it is forwarded to the Mission in London the following day.
The Mission may always request for additional information/documents or invite applicants for an interview during the visa application process and this may cause delays in the visa process, which applicants accept responsibility for.
For Italy every applicant needs to provide a signed printout from an online Schengen visa application form (VAF).
- Applicant needs to duly complete the online visa application form as mentioned below:
- Click Online Application form
- Register with your email address
- Complete all mandatory fields (marked with a red star *) on the online visa application form
- Once online visa application form is duly completed, the following options will be given (on page 6 VAF Dependent):
- Book an appointment:
- Click given Appointment Link
- Log in with previously registered credentials
- Complete Appointment booking process
- Complete another online visa application form (first select Yes, then 1 of appearing options and finally click Submit)
- Book an appointment:
Once all the online visa application forms have been completed (in case of multiple applicants), then applicant needs to continue with booking an appointment as mentioned above.
During the entire process of completing an online visa application form and booking an appointment applicant will receive 3 emails – 1st email confirming initiation, 2nd email with completed VAF and 3rd email with appointment letter.
In order to have the online visa application form printed and signed applicant needs to:
- Check for email Visa application form submitted successfully and reference number is SCHEITxxxxxxxxxxx with PDF attachment
- Open PDF attachment (using first 4 characters of Passport Number + Date Of Birth (ddmmyyyy) as entered in the online visa application form)
- Click File
- Click Print and confirm printing
- Sign the completed visa application form in the designated places (no.37 and right under the disclaimer at the end of the VAF)
- Bring the signed visa application form with the supporting documents on his/her appointment day (see Schedule an Appointment).