Visa Types
You can find out what type of visa you require for entry to New Zealand by reading the Application Guides

You can apply for a New Zealand visa as a visitor, a student, a worker, to transit New Zealand or to gain residence in New Zealand.

Visitor Visa

A visitor visa allows you to stay in New Zealand as a visitor for a limited amount of time. It allows you to:

visit as a tourist
visit friends or relatives
play sport or perform in cultural events without pay
undertake business meetings
undertake short-term study.

For more detail on special categories of visitor visas please see the Visitor Visa Guide

Work Visa
You may apply for a work visa if you are going to New Zealand for the purpose of employment. “Employment” means any activity undertaken for gain or reward. To find out which types of work are not considered to be “employment” & the different Immigration Instructions under which you can apply for a work visa, please see the Work Visa Guide.

An employment offer from a New Zealand Employer is generally required for work visas.Neither Immigration New Zealand nor the Visa application Centre aid in finding this employment in New Zealand.

Student Visa
Most overseas students need a visa to study full time in New Zealand. If you want to study part time in New Zealand & you hold a New Zealand visitor visa or work visa, you may apply for a variation of conditions to allow you to study which can be applied for in New Zealand.For definitions of full & part time study please see the Student Visa guide.

Transit Visa
People who wish to travel to and be in New Zealand only as a transit passenger should apply for a transit visa.
Citizens of some countries who are intending to transit New Zealand are not required to obtain a transit visa.

Please note that a transit is anyone landing in New Zealand and staying for less than 24 hours at the airport.All others require a visitor visa unless they are from a visa waiver country.

Residence Class Visa
People who wish travel to New Zealand and stay indefinitely must meet the Immigration Instructions for a Residence Class Visa.
For More information please see Application for Residence Guide (Skilled Migrant Category) or Residence Guide.