- 2017 Holiday Season Closures
- VFS final day of submissions for 2017 – 20 December 2017.
- Only collections will remain open – 21, 22, 27, 28, 29 December 2017.
- Collection timings: 08:00 – 14:00
- Christmas and Boxing Day – 25 December 2017 and 26 December 2017 – Closed.
- New Year’s Day – 01 January 2018 – Closed.
- VFS Closed – 02 January 2018.
- VFS to re-open for submissions - 03 January 2018.
Introduction and implementation of the automated fingerprint biometric solution which will replace the requirement of the manual south african police clearance certificate
The Immigration Act, No.13 of 2002 requires amongst other supporting documents a submission of a police clearance certificate when making an application for a long- term temporary residence visa or permanent residence permit.
As part of the continuous service improvement and efficiency, the Department of Home Affairs will be introducing a Biometric background check service which is linked to the South African Police Service Database. This service which will be provided at a value added cost of R175.00 (Incl. VAT) will replace the requirement to submit manual police clearance certificates obtained from SAPS.
With effect from the 01 November 2017 applicants will no longer be required to submit RSA police clearance certificates, where applicable, when making an application for a change of condition, renewal or extension of their visa and Permanent Residence Permit within South Africa. VFS offices will continue to accept manual SAPS police clearance certificates until the 31 December 2017, thereafter DHA will only accept the taking of biometrics (fingerprints) in respect of checking criminal records.
This service is only available to applicants who are submitting an application at VFS for a temporary residence visa or a permanent residence permit. Foreign nationals who need to obtain a police clearance certificate for any other purpose should still request such at the South African Police Service.
- Beware of fraudulent job offers. For more details - click here