|Visa Category||Visa Fee in Euros||Visa Fee in GBP|
A service charge of £19.50 (inclusive of VAT) is applicable for every application in addition to the visa fee.
- For children between 6 – 12 years old and Nationals of countries with a visa facilitation agreement with the European Union, Albania, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bosnia – Herzegovina, Cape Verde, Georgia, Macedonia, Moldova, Montenegro, Russian Federation, Serbia and Ukraine, the Schengen visa fee amounts to £ 30.00
- The applicable visa fee in Pound Sterling (£) is as per the current exchange rate. It is subject to change without notice. The fee is non-refundable.
- The following categories of applicants are exempt from Visa fees only:
- children under 6 years of age
- Spouses/children/parents of EU/EEA/EFTA nationals when travelling together (children up to 28 years of age with proof of dependency) The original Marriage Certificate/ Civil partnership certificate or original full Birth Certificate with parents' names must be submitted together with spouse's/parent's/childs original passport.
- Visa Fee exemption also applies to School pupils, Students and Post Graduates that travel for the purpose of study or educational training”. The letter from the school/college needs to explicitly state that the study/field trip is a compulsory/mandatory part of the curriculum.
- In case the letter is issued by travel agencies representing a college, these will be accepted but Visa Fees will be charged unless the above mentioned official confirmation is included also
- The Special Delivery facility for the return of processed applications is available at a fee of £14.95 (Inclusive of VAT) per application. This is an optional service.
- The SMS facility for updates on your application is available at a fee of £1.95 (Inclusive of VAT) per application. This is an optional service.
- The Visa fees can be paid by cash, credit/debit card or postal orders in the name of “German Visa Application Centre". Cheque payments and direct bank transfers are not accepted.
All fees are non-refundable.
Please note that incomplete applications will not be accepted.
All of the required documentation listed below is mandatory for all applicants, including such cases where flights, accommodation, insurance and other items may be arranged by applicant’s employer, travel companies or any other companies or individuals.
We therefore strongly advise that applicants provide the documents as listed below, and should not provide documents based on any other source. If documents provided are not as per the requirements below, this may lead to delays at the application centre, and in some cases applicants may be required to take new appointments to resubmit their application.
- In addition each applicant needs to print out, sign and submit the acknowledgement form/Additional Information sheet (Belehrung).
- Application form: Please fill this application form before attending the appointment and bring with you the print out. Click Here to fill in the online application form. The application form must be printed; hand written forms will not be accepted.
- Please ensure you fill in your details exactly as they appear in your passport and pay particular attention to question number 18 which refers to your UK visa
- The form will have six pages, and there are three places on pages 4,5 and 6 for the applicant to sign
- Also bring (do not fix to the form) 2 colour photos with name written on the back (see links on the right hand side for further information on passport photos).
Passport(original and copy): ( If applicant opts for passport collection, then an extra photocopy of passport bio data page needs to be provided)
- Must have two blank visa pages
- Passport must be signed where applicable
- Must be valid for at least 90 days beyond the return date of the trip to the Schengen Area.
- Please note that only passports that have been issued (not extended!) during the past ten years can be endorsed with a visa. If your passport was issued longer than 10 years ago as of the date of return from your scheduled trip, please apply for a new passport at your Embassy.
UK visa (original and copy)Valid for 90 days beyond the return date of the trip to the Schengen Area.
- Evidence of sufficient funds: to support yourself during your entire stay
- The minimum requirement is £50 per day of travel, plus enough to cover any outstanding accommodation or travel fees.
- Please note that cash is not acceptable proof.
Acceptable proof is:
- Three month’s recent bank statements (including transactions) from a UK or German account only, with a positive balance or
- Traveller's cheques.
If you are financially supported by your spouse/adult child (for example if you do not work yourself), please also provide:
- The marriage/birth certificate (and certified translation if required), original and copy
- Your spouse/child's passport, original and copy
- Their bank statements (see requirements above).
- recent student/school/unemployment/ proof of pension letter
- evidence of living at same address, meaning for applicant and EU-national (e.g. utility bills, bank statements, council tax bill etc)
- note from EU-national confirming that he/she is financially responsible for the applicant
- If you are financially supported by anyone else, they will need to file a formal letter/Declaration of Obligation (‘Verpflichtungserklärung’) to support this, and you will need to provide the original and copy with your application. This document can be obtained from the German consulate, or, if in Germany, at the local town hall authority (‘Ausländerbehörde’).
Tickets: to and from Schengen region
- Must be confirmed and in applicant’s name
- Can include: flight, train, coach or ferry
- If travelling in between more than one Schengen country during stay, transportation between countries needs to be accounted for
- Informal, signed invite from friend/relative in Germany along with passport copy and German residence permit (if the host is non-European, a copy of both sides of the host’s German residence permit)
- OR original sponsor letter/declaration of obligation (Verpflichtungserklärung) from your host in Germany, plus copy. This formal obligation can be obtained by your host at his local town authorities in Germany ("Ausländerbehörde")
Travel insurance, which must:
- Be valid for all member states of the Schengen region, for all days of the trip
- Cover a minimum of £20,000
- Acceptable travel insurance is available here and also at the visa application centre in London
- Evidence of occupation/student status,
- i.e. a100% original, recent (not older than one (1) month, signed letter from your UK employer / school / university on official letterhead
- If you are self-employed, a letter from a accountant verifying your self-employment.
- If you work for a family, your most recent P60 along with employment letter.
- If you are receiving benefits/pensions, the HMRC benefit/pension letter is required.
- If you do not work (i.e. you are a housewife/husband), please provide your spouse’s employment letter/ student confirmation, passport and marriage certificate ( If not in English certified translation required), original and copy.
- If you are unemployed please provide proof of jobseeker allowance
- Please note that last 3 months payslips can also be accepted in place of a letter from employer.
Additional documents may be required at any time
Children under 18 years of age must also provide:
A separate application form for each child.
- Application must be signed by both parents unless one parent has sole custody or a residence order for the minor (proof thereof to be submitted, e.g. court order, adoption documents, sole custody certification).
- Original birth certificate (and certified translation, if required) of each child and copy
Important Travel Notice for minors. We strongly recommend to always bringing a declaration/letter of consent signed by both parents authorising the minor to travel and stay in Schengen territory and appointing a person that will be responsible for them while travelling
All supporting documents must be dated within one month (30 days) of application date
Documents printed from websites/email must clearly show the website address, link or URL from which the document originated. Please note that all letters /photocopies must be legible (screen shots will not be accepted)
Note: We regret we cannot accept photographs that do not meet these requirements
Please provide one recent photograph (not more than 6 months old) of yourself. The photograph should be in colour and:
- Taken against a light background (white or off-white) so that features are distinguishable and contrast against the background.
- Clear quality and with the face in focus.
- Printed on normal photographic paper (camera print).
- Full face, non-smiling [without sunglasses, a hat/cap or other head covering, unless the applicant wears such items because of their religious belief or ethnic background].
- Please stick the Photograph on the Visa Application Form. Upon your arrival to the Visa Application Centre further requirements may be requested.
Note: Please follow these instructions carefully. If photographs presented do not meet these requirements your application will be considered incomplete. Photo booth meeting these requirements is available at the centre.
The processing time for visa applications is a minimum of 5 working days. Please be advised that due to the aforementioned minimum processing time, we are not able to guarantee the return of passports by specific dates for travel.
Please also check the following link to ascertain any dates that the consulate will be closed, as this will also affect the processing time of your visa application.
For the following nationals the visa processing time takes a minimum of 14 working days:
Afghanistan Algeria , Egypt , Iran Iraq, Jordan, Kazakhstan (except for diplomatic and service passport),Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Mali, Mauritania, Morocco, Niger, Nigeria, North Korea, Oman,Pakistan, Qatar, Rwanda, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Tajikistan (except for diplomatic and service passport), Tunisia, Uzbekistan, Vietnam, Yemen
Please click Here to complete the online application form.
Please ensure that you complete the form in full, - please also print, sign and bring with you when attending for your Visa appointment. Handwritten forms will not be accepted.