Every applicant, including children/infants, has to submit his/her Schengen visa application in person and by appointment only on their appointment date, which needs to be booked online (see Schedule an Appointment) by the applicant.
For Non EU citizens who are not sure whether a Schengen visa is required to travel to the Schengen Area, please click Do I need a visa? to find out.
Minors are applicants who haven’t reached the age of 18 years when submitting a Schengen visa application (Tourist, Visitor Family/Friends, EEA/EU and Swiss national family member or Airport Transit).
Therefore each minor MUST provide the following additional documents:
- Child’s unabridged/full birth certificate showing both biological parents their names
- Written consent (signed and dated) of mother and father mentioned on the child’s birth certificate
- Copy of both parents their passport’s Bio page and signature page, if signature is not on Bio page
- In case the parents are divorced or one of the parents has deceased, then respectively the court order confirming one parent’s sole custody or the deceased parent’s death certificate.
- In case a guardian has been appointed by the parents, then the guardianship letter and the guardian’s passport’s Bio page and signature page, if signature is not on Bio page
Due to European legislation regarding protection of children/minors, it has to be emphasised that Minors, who are not providing all the required documents, may not be granted a Schengen visa.
Applicable visa fee for minors varies in 3 age groups:
- Minors under 6 years old: Gratis
- Minors 6 years old but just not 12 years old: Reduced visa fee
- Minors 12 years old and more: Full visa fee
Applicant must at least meet the following criteria in order to be eligible to submit a Schengen visa application:
- holding a valid passport/travel document
- holding a valid UK residence permit. In case applicant holds a short stay visa for the UK, a C type visa (see example here), then applicant needs to apply for a Schengen visa from his/her residence country
- applying for a short stay visa: Tourist (including Minors), Visitor Family/Friends, Business, EEA/EU and Swiss national family member or Airport Transit
||Visa fee (in Euro)||Visa fee (in GBP)||VFS Service fee (in GBP)|
|Tourism/Visitor Family & Friends/Conference||60||53||24.61|
|EEA/EU and Swiss national family member||0||0||24.61|
|Nationals of countries with a visa facilitation agreement with the European Union: Albania, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bosnia – Herzegovina, Cape Verde, Georgia, Macedonia, Moldova, Montenegro, Russian Federation, Serbia and Ukraine||35||31||24.61|
|Children between 6 and 12 years old||35||31||24.61|
|Children less than 6 years old||0||0||24.61|
|EXEMPTION VISA FEES|
|Organised groups of school pupils/students accompanied by teachers on study/educational trip; only applicable if applicants have a formal invitation from an educational institution in Hungary.||0||0||24.61|
|(scientific) researchers from third countries||0||0||24.61|
|Representatives of non-profit organisations (up to 25 years old) actively participating in conferences/events (sports, cultural or educational) organised by non-profit organisations.||0||0||24.61|
Applicable visa fee, in Pound Sterling (£), is as per the current exchange rate and may be subject to change without notice.
VFS service fee (inclusive of VAT) is charged per visa application, in addition to the applicable visa fee.
All fees can be paid by cash (except in Edinburgh), Credit/Debit card or Postal Orders in the name of “Hungary Visa Application Centre”.
Cheque payments and direct bank transfers are not accepted.
All fees are non-refundable.
- Fully completed and signed application form.
- Original and copy of Passport, with at least 2 blank visa pages, valid for at least 90 days beyond the return date of the trip to the Schengen Area, and not issued more than 10 years ago as of the date of return from your scheduled trip. The same applies to passports issued more than 10 years ago that have since been extended.
- Original and copy of UK Residence permit valid for at least 90 days beyond the return date of the trip to the Schengen Area
- One recent photo (not older than 6 months) ,passport size, colour photo with white background. Please see Photo Specification section above for more information.
- Child birth certificate. Full birth certificates issued outside the EU must be duly translated into English and legalized by The Embassy of Hungary / Embassy of the origin country in the UK. These documents must be original only.
- Letter of consent for travel date, date of return, etc. from other parent if only one parent is attending to apply for visa along with the child at the Hungary visa application centre.
- Passport copies of both parents must be provided.
- Or sole custody agreement in case of single parents.
- Fully booked and paid return flight tickets;
- Fully booked and paid hotel reservation OR a letter of invitation in original by your host in Hungary, signed by him/her and with a photocopy of his/her valid I.D. and his/her residence permit in Hungary if non-EU-citizen;,
- An original reference letter by school addressed to ‘The Embassy of Hungary in London’.
- Travel insurance covering the intended period of stay with a minimum coverage of EURO 30,000 for emergency hospital and repatriation expenses
- Evidence that your parents have sufficient funds to support yourself during your stay, you must provide either parent’s last 3 months, original bank statements showing activity/transactions not older than 1 month and showing positive balance, or traveller’s cheques, or credit cards with credit limit statement. Proof of your parent’s current occupation in the UK, a letter from their employer which must be original, not older than 1 month and hand signed - electronic/digital signatures will not be accepted. Please make sure that the letter is on headed paper, dated and contains a contact name and number.
- A photocopy of all original documentation
All supporting documents must not be older than 1 month
Each individual person making a visa application must provide ALL of the required documents – i.e. if applying as a family; ALL family members must provide their own individual documents.
Note - If the marriage is not registered/issued in Hungary, the couple must provide proof of their common address in the UK in addition to the marriage certificate. An acceptable proof of address is the most recent bank statement or utility bill, for both applicant and spouse.
No documentation will be returned with your passport, so unless specifically requested please do not give original documents such as birth certificates, marriage certificate’s etc. Only copies of such documents should be submitted with your application.
Please provide one recent colour photograph (not more than 6 months old) of yourself, meeting the following requirements:
- Taken against a light (white or off-white) background so that features are distinguishable and contrast against the background.
- Clear quality and with the face in focus
- Full face: non-smiling, no sunglasses, no hat/cap or any head covering, unless the applicant wears such items because of his/her religious belief or ethnic background
- Printed on normal photographic paper (camera print)
- Photograph attached (glued-paper clipped) to the Visa Application Form
If the photographs presented do not meet these requirements (see examples here), then the visa application will be considered incomplete and applicant will be asked to take new photographs in the photo booth in the visa application centre.
Every applicant can submit his/her Schengen visa application up to 3 months before the intended travel date to the Schengen Area.
The mimimum processing time of a visa application is 15 working days, so applicants are advised to leave enough time - between the appointment date and travel date - for the Mission to process their visa application; no guarantees can be given on the visa application’s return date as delays may occur.
In order to avoid any delays in the visa application process, it is paramount that the visa application is complete and its documents submitted are as per the Mission’s requirements (see Documents Required for the different visa categories).
Applicants also need to be aware that, especially during busy season around Easter, Summer holidays (July and August) and Christmas, the appointments (see Schedule an Appointment) are being booked very quickly as the Mission only processes a fixed amount of visa applications on a daily basis.
Furthermore applicants need to consider that VFS/Mission’s closures and holidays (see Public Holidays/Closures) may extend the visa application processing time.
Therefore VFS recommends all applicants:
- to book their appointment as soon as they know they’ll be travelling
- to ensure that their visa application’s documentation meets the Mission’s requirements
- to leave enough processing time for the Mission
Applicants submitting their visa application in our satellite centre in Edinburgh, need to calculate 2 extra days to their minimum processing time as their visa application will first be dispatched to the VFS London office, from where it is forwarded to the Mission in London the following day.
The Mission may always request for additional information/documents or invite applicants for an interview during the visa application process and this may cause delays in the visa process, which applicants accept responsibility for.
For Hungary every applicant needs to provide a signed printout from a Schengen visa application form (VAF).
Therefore each applicant first needs to download and print the Schengen visa application form as follows:
- Click Schengen Visa Application form
- Select File in Menu bar
- Select Print & confirm Printing
- Right click Schengen Visa Application form
- Select Print target & confirm Printing
Once the Schengen visa application form has been printed, then applicant needs to finish the remaining steps:
- Duly complete the printed visa application form (as per the passport’s details)
- Sign the completed visa application form in the designated places (1 signature right under the disclaimer at the end of the VAF)
- Bring the signed visa application form with the supporting documents on his/her appointment day (see Schedule an Appointment).