India Driver Licence Verification (IDLV)
Who Can Apply?
Indian Drivers Licence Verification service is available for Indian nationals only.
The Indian Driver Licence Verification services are not available under the jurisdiction of Consulate General of India, in Melbourne (VIC & TAS).
The Licence Verification Certificate will only be issued in the exact full name as per your driver’s Licence. Ensure when completing the online application the full name on your Online form and on your Driver’s Licence is exactly the same.
If the Name on your Licence is different from your current valid Passport, review the checklist for the procedure you need to complete required by the High Commission of India.
Father’s Name on the Online Application form should be entered exactly as it appears on the Licence.
To ensure your application can be processed, kindly ensure all documents are provided as stated in the checklist. Have all your documents checked as per the checklist and place them in the order as required on the checklist.
If the checklist is not followed, this may result in an incomplete application which cannot be accepted by the High Commission of India for processing.
- There are some Road Transport Authorities in Australia which do not accept this IDLV certification. The applicants may like to check with their local RTA of such details; or something to this effect.
- The verification letters being submitted by IDLV applicants from the concerned RTO/DTO/Licensing authority should preferably on the letterhead with office address, tel/fax number, email address, name and designation of the signatory.
- Submission of fake documents to obtain passport/consular services is a crime and can lead to punitive action by the High Commission/Consulates.
- In such cases wherever a reference has been made to concerned authorities in India, issuance of IDLV is strictly subject to receipt of clearance and thus the indicated processing time is not applicable.
Important Note for Applicants under the jurisdiction of Consulate General of India, in Melbourne (VIC & TAS):
A new process has been put in place for Indian driver licence holders seeking driver licence from VicRoads on the basis of their Indian licences.
Ordinarily, VicRoads would not ask for the Indian Driver Licence Verification (IDLV) certificate issued by the Indian Consulate at Melbourne (CGI Melbourne), for issue of licences to the applicants holding Indian Drivers Licence.
VicRoads would however seek the verification certificate in cases of doubt regarding the authenticity of the (Indian) license. Such cases would be referred to CGI Melbourne for detailed verification for issue of IDLV certificate.
Hence a routine request for IDLV certificates may not be made/filed with CGI/VFS Melbourne.
The process for seeking IDLV for CGI Melbourne, after VicRoads has sought such a certificate from the applicant, remains the same.Next
Checklist and Application Forms
Steps To Follow
The checklist for the application category that you apply for will provide details on which specific forms you may need to download. In some instances, there may be more than one form.
Complete a separate checklist and application form/s for each person applying. Ensure the documents are completed accurately and signed where needed.
Once application is complete refer to the VFS locations where you can submit your applications in person/send through courier.
Your Residential State VFS Office Location (If you are sending your application through Post/courier VFS office Location(if you are applying in person) New South Wales VFS - Sydney VFS - Sydney South Australia Australia- Sydney VFS - Adelaide Victoria VFS - Melbourne VFS - Melbourne Tasmania VFS - Melbourne VFS - Melbourne Australian Capital Territory VFS - Canberra VFS - Canberra Queensland Australia- Canberra VFS - Brisbane Western Australia VFS - Perth VFS - Perth Northern Territory VFS - Perth VFS - Perth
Please note: you can only submit your applications as per the jurisdiction to the VFS office location as mentioned in above table.
Example: if you residing in SA and wishing to apply in person, you must visit VFS - Adelaide office.
Before you click on the complete online application form button below, remember you must print out the application form once completed online, checklist (one per person) and additional forms as indicated above if any. Return to this page to complete Step 2.Complete Online Application Form
Now that you have completed Step 1, you’re ready to submit your application. Make sure you have signed the application form/s and checklist where required and have all supporting documents in place.
Incomplete applications or applications with incorrect photographs specifications cannot be accepted and will be returned. Refer to Application and Service Terms
By Post/ Courier- If you decide to send in your application by Post/ Courier click here for details on how to submit your application.
In Person- If you decide to submit your application in person by appointment at an Application Centre, click below to book your appointment.Book An Appointment
Fees and Charges
Click on the Fee Calculator Icon to calculate fees applicable.
Fees for Miscellaneous Consular services are subject to revision every month depending upon the prevailing Rate of Exchange.
Credit/Debit card surcharge of 1.95 % applicable for card payments. Only Master card or Visa cards issued in Australia are acceptable
IPVSC centres provide a courier service to return your processed applications back to your address at an additional service charge of AUD 19.95 (inclusive of GST) and return by courier for Visa and few Consular Miscellaneous services Application is purely optional service selected for convenience to the applicants
Optional SMS service provide you with three SMS updating you in real time on the status tracking of your lodged application at an additional service charge of AUD 1.99 (inclusive of GST)
IPVSC Centres in Australia provide photography services as per the guidelines of International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO). This service is chargeable and available for standard photographs of Adult and children. (Assistance may not be available for Infant and applicants’ with Special Needs).
IPVSC centres provide the service of Photocopy and Form printing of the Documents at an additional charge of AUD 0.50 per page.
Preferred mode of payment
At the application centre by Credit Card/EFTPOS
At the application centre in Cash
Other Payment modes
Fees can be paid by Money Order/Postal Order, in favour of, “VFS Services Australia Pty Ltd”
For all type of applications, same day pick up requests will incur an additional VFS Global Emergency Processing Fee of Au$88.00 (inclusive of GST) including interim/complete withdrawal cases.
Strictly do not finalize travel plans before receiving the service applied for. Processing times below are average processing times. Please plan your travel accordingly.
VFS Global/Government of India would not be responsible for any inconvenience/problems faced as a result of finalizing travel plans before obtaining the relevant service.
Applicants sending their documents by Post/Courier are requested to ensure that they are completed and meet requirements. Processing times mentioned do not include transit time by post/courier. Transit times by Courier are generally 1-3 days on average and may be higher in remote or rural areas.
Incomplete applications will lead to an increase in processing time and applicants will need to comply with any changes in the procedure that may occur during this time. As a part of Processing Incomplete applications are returned and Courier Return fees will apply. See terms and conditions for further details
For India Driver Licence Verification (IDLV)
Average of 5 working days
In cases where reference has been made to concerned authorities in India, issuance of IDLV is strictly subject to receipt of clearance and thus the indicated processing time is not applicable.
Secure and Safe return choice:
IDLV applications are returned by secure courier delivery process.
Photographs should be in color and strictly as per the specifications below.
- Un-mounted - 2 inch x 2 inch in size.
- Face should cover about 70 to 80% of the photo area.
- Frame Subject with Full Face, Front view, Eyes open
- Taken within the last 6 months to reflect your current appearance.
- The photographs must be clear, well defined and taken against a plain white or light-coloured background.
- Appropriate brightness and contrast showing your skin tones naturally
- Even lighting (no shadows across or behind the face)
- Face must be square to the camera with a neutral expression, neither frowning nor smiling and with your mouth closed.
- If you must wear a head covering for religious reasons, make sure your full facial features are not obscured.
- Non-tinted prescription glasses are allowed as long as your eyes are clearly visible. Make sure that the frame does not cover any part of your eyes. Sunglasses are not acceptable.
- Headphones, wireless hands-free devices, or similar items are not acceptable in your photo.
- Photograph for Child/babies - The photograph should show the baby or child awake, looking straight at the camera with mouth closed and nothing covering the mouth. It should also show both edges of the face clearly (no toys, blankets, chair backs or other people visible) and no hair across the eyes.
There is one self-service Photo-booth available at each of our centres in Adelaide, Brisbane, Canberra, Melbourne, Perth and Sydney. The photo-booth is a self operating standard Adult photo facility and cannot be adjusted to assist with Infant, Children or Special Needs applicants’ photographs.