Renunciation of Indian Citizenship and Surrender of Indian Passports
Who Can Apply?
The Indian Citizenship Act, 1955, does not allow dual citizenship. Many individuals continue to retain their Indian passports and some even travel on them and there are yet others who get fresh passports issued by suppression of information even several years after they have acquired foreign citizenship. Keeping an Indian passport/acquiring an Indian passport/travelling on an Indian passport after acquisition of foreign citizenship constitutes an offence under the Indian Passport Act, 1967, and attracts penalties.
Indian passport holders, who have acquired foreign citizenship, are required to surrender their Indian passports to the nearest India Passport and Visa Services centre after acquisition of foreign citizenship. The Government of India has fixed the fee for renouncing the Indian Citizenship/surrender of Indian passport and has prescribed certain penalties for not renouncing Indian citizenship/surrender of Indian passport/Using Indian passport for travelling purpose.
PIOs who have already acquired foreign citizenship voluntarily shall cease to be Indian citizenship. However, such persons are required to surrender their Indian passport, whether valid or expired so that the passport is not misused.
Features of the rules :-
- Government of India has prescribed imposition of penalty on a graded scale, for the violation of Passport Rules ranging from a minimum of AUD 210/- to a maximum of AUD 1050/-, depending on number of trips made on the Indian passport after acquiring foreign nationality. The penalty provisions would be applicable only in cases where Indian citizens after acquiring foreign citizenship (after 1 January 2005) retained (beyond three years) or used Indian passport.
- Persons of Indian Origin (PIO) intending to apply for Visa, OCI Cards, are required to renounce Indian citizenship/surrender their Indian passports along with their Visa/OCI applications or first apply for renunciation of Indian citizenship/surrender their Indian passport and then apply for these services. In case they do not have the Indian passports in their possession for any reason (loss/misplacement/submission to Department of Immigration and Citizenship a long time back, etc.), they are required to provide statutory declaration in this regard and pay the fees.
- All applications for renunciation/surrender of Indian passports are to be made at the India Passport and Visa Services centre.
- Fee schedule for renunciation of Indian citizenship and Surrender of Indian passport (in AUD) with effect from 11 October 2012 is given below (Penalty charges are applicable to applicants became Australian/Foreign citizen after 01 January 2005)
|Aspect||Fees For Renunciation|
|Acquired foreign citizenship on or prior to 31 May 2010||AUD 24|
|Acquired foreign citizenship after 31 May 2010||AUD 147|
|Aspect||Penalty Charges are in addition to above renunciation fees|
|Retention of Indian passport beyond three years and not used for travel after obtaining foreign nationality||AUD 210|
|Indian Passport not surrendered for 3 years and travelled after obtaining foreign nationality||AUD 210 +AUD 210 For Each Travel|
|When travelled on Indian Passport after obtaining foreign nationality||AUD 210 For Each Travel (total penalty will not exceed AUD 1050/-)|
|Indian Passport got re-issued after obtaining foreign nationality and travelled using Indian Passport||AUD 525 + AUD 210 For Each Travel|
|Passport got re-issued after acquiring foreign nationality and retained the passport for more than three years||AUD 525 + AUD 210|
|When a person has obtained miscellaneous consular service on the Indian passport after acquiring foreign nationality||AUD 210 each occasion (after 3 months grace period)|
|OCI/ Visa applicants who have lost/misplaced Indian passports or that the foreign
Government has retained the Indian passport after acquiring Foreign nationality
Checklist and Application Forms
Steps To Follow
The checklist for the application category that you apply for will provide details on which specific forms you may need to download. In some instances, there may be more than one form.
Complete a separate checklist and application form/s for each person applying. Ensure the documents are completed accurately and signed where needed.
Renunciation of Indian Citizenship and Surrender of Indian Passports Checklist Form N Surrender of Indian Passport application form
Once application is complete refer to the VFS locations where you can submit your applications in person/send through courier.
Your Residential State VFS Office Location (If you are sending your application through Post/courier VFS office Location(if you are applying in person) New South Wales VFS - Sydney VFS - Sydney South Australia Australia- Sydney VFS - Adelaide Victoria VFS - Melbourne VFS - Melbourne Tasmania VFS - Melbourne VFS - Melbourne Australian Capital Territory VFS - Canberra VFS - Canberra Queensland Australia- Canberra VFS - Brisbane Western Australia VFS - Perth VFS - Perth Northern Territory VFS - Perth VFS - Perth
Please note: you can only submit your applications as per the jurisdiction to the VFS office location as mentioned in above table.
Example: if you residing in SA and wishing to apply in person, you must visit VFS - Adelaide office.
Now that you have completed Step 1, you’re ready to submit your application. Make sure you have signed the application form/s and checklist where required and have all supporting documents in place.
Incomplete applications or applications with incorrect photographs specifications cannot be accepted and will be returned. Refer to Application and Service Terms
By Post/ Courier- If you decide to send in your application by Post/ Courier click here for details on how to submit your application.
In Person- If you decide to submit your application in person by appointment at an Application Centre, click below to book your appointment.Book An Appointment
Fees and Charges
Click on the Fee Calculator Icon to calculate fees applicable.
Fees for Miscellaneous Consular services are subject to revision every month depending upon the prevailing Rate of Exchange.
Credit/Debit card surcharge of 1.95% applicable for card payments. Only Master card or Visa cards issued in Australia are acceptable
IPVSC centres provide a courier service to return your processed applications back to your address at an additional service charge of AUD 19.95 (inclusive of GST) and return by courier for Visa and few Consular Miscellaneous services Application is purely optional service selected for convenience to the applicants
Optional SMS service provide you with three SMS updating you in real time on the status tracking of your lodged application at an additional service charge of AUD 1.99 (inclusive of GST)
IPVSC Centres in Australia provide photography services as per the guidelines of International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO). This service is chargeable and available for standard photographs of Adult and children. (Assistance may not be available for Infant and applicants’ with Special Needs).
IPVSC centres provide the service of Photocopy and Form printing of the Documents at an additional charge of AUD 0.50 per page.
Preferred mode of payment
At the application centre by Credit Card/EFTPOS
At the application centre in Cash
Other Payment modes
Fees can be paid by Money Order/Postal Order, in favour of, “VFS Services Australia Pty Ltd”
For all type of applications, same day pick up requests will incur an additional VFS Global Emergency Processing Fee of Au$88.00 (inclusive of GST) including interim/complete withdrawal cases.
Strictly do not finalize travel plans before receiving the service applied for. Processing times below are average processing times. Please plan your travel accordingly.
VFS Global/Government of India would not be responsible for any inconvenience/problems faced as a result of finalizing travel plans before obtaining the relevant service.
Applicants sending their documents by Post/Courier are requested to ensure that they are completed and meet requirements. Processing times mentioned do not include transit time by post/courier. Transit times by Courier are generally 1-3 days on average and may be higher in remote or rural areas.
Incomplete applications will lead to an increase in processing time and applicants will need to comply with any changes in the procedure that may occur during this time. As a part of Processing Incomplete applications are returned and Courier Return fees will apply. See terms and conditions for further details
For Renunciation of Indian Citizenship and Surrender of Indian Passports
Average of 5 working days
Secure and Safe return choice:
Renunciation of Indian Citizenship and Surrender of Indian passports applications are returned by secure courier delivery process.
Photographs should be in color and strictly as per the specifications below.
- Un-mounted - 2 inch x 2 inch in size.
- Face should cover about 70 to 80% of the photo area.
- Frame Subject with Full Face, Front view, Eyes open
- Taken within the last 6 months to reflect your current appearance.
- The photographs must be clear, well defined and taken against a plain white or light-coloured background.
- Appropriate brightness and contrast showing your skin tones naturally
- Even lighting (no shadows across or behind the face)
- Face must be square to the camera with a neutral expression, neither frowning nor smiling and with your mouth closed.
- If you must wear a head covering for religious reasons, make sure your full facial features are not obscured.
- Non-tinted prescription glasses are allowed as long as your eyes are clearly visible. Make sure that the frame does not cover any part of your eyes. Sunglasses are not acceptable.
- Headphones, wireless hands-free devices, or similar items are not acceptable in your photo.
- Photograph for Child/babies - The photograph should show the baby or child awake, looking straight at the camera with mouth closed and nothing covering the mouth. It should also show both edges of the face clearly (no toys, blankets, chair backs or other people visible) and no hair across the eyes.
There is one self-service Photo-booth available at each of our centres in Adelaide, Brisbane, Canberra, Melbourne, Perth and Sydney. The photo-booth is a self operating standard Adult photo facility and cannot be adjusted to assist with Infant, Children or Special Needs applicants’ photographs.