1. Who can Apply?
Employment visas are issued to australian passport holders or australian residents (provided the period of residence in Australia is for more than 2 years and subject to the conditions hereunder:
- The applicant is a highly skilled/skilled and qualified professional or person who is being engaged or appointed by a company, organization, industry, or undertaking, etc. in India on contract or employment basis at a senior level, skilled position such as technical expert, senior executive, or in a managerial position, etc.
- Employment Visa would not be considered for jobs for which large number of qualified Indians is available. Furthermore, Employment Visa application would not be considered at all for routine, ordinary or secretarial/clerical jobs.
- The salary of the applicant proposed to be employed should not be less than US$ 25,000 per annum.
- The applicant should be coming for employment in companies registered in India.
- The applicant will have to comply with all other requirements like payment of tax liabilities etc.
- The applicant must submit proof of his/her employment or contract or engagement by the company/organization, etc. in India.
- The applicant must submit documentary proof of his educational qualifications and professional expertise – “Resume copy”.
2. Other categories of applicants eligible for Employment visa
The following categories of applicants may also be eligible for Employment visa subject to the fulfilment of the general conditions mentioned above.
- Applicant coming to India as consultant on contract for whom the Indian company pays a fixed remuneration, (may not be in the form of monthly salary).
- Foreign artists engaged to conduct regular performances for the duration of the employment contract given by Hotels, Clubs, other organizations.
- Foreign nationals who are coming to India to take up employment as coaches.
- Foreign sportsmen who are given contract for a specified period by the Indian Clubs/organizations.
- Self-employed foreign nationals coming to India for providing engineering, medical, accounting, legal or such other highly skilled services in their capacity as independent consultants.
- Foreign language teachers/interpreters.
- Specialist Chefs.
- Foreign nationals visiting India for voluntary work with NGOs.
3. Duration of Employment Visa
An Employment Visa will be valid for entry and stay into India within the period of its validity unless specified otherwise and subject to conditions specified. Validity of an Employment visa will be as under:-
- A foreign technician/expert coming to India in pursuance of a bilateral agreement between the Government of India and a foreign government, or in pursuance of a collaboration agreement that has been approved by the Government of India, may be granted an Employment visa for the duration of the agreement, or for a period of five years, whichever is less with multiple entry facilities.
- A foreigner coming to India for employment not covered in (i) above (and also other than those being employed in IT software and IT enabled sectors) may be granted Employment visa with a validity up to two years or the term of assignment, whichever is less with multiple entry facility.
- In the case of highly skilled/skilled foreign personnel being employed in the IT software and IT enabled sectors, the Missions/Posts may grant visa with validity up to 3 years or the term of assignment, whichever is less with multiple entry facility.
- In case of Employment Visa issued for a period of 180 days or less, registration is not required with FRRO/FRO. The Missions/Posts may issue multiple entry Employment Visas for a period of 180 days or less.
- However, if the Employment visa is valid for a period of more than 180 days, Employment-visa holder must register with the FRRO/FRO concerned within 14 days of arrival. Further extension could be given by authorities in India.
4. Visa to family members of a foreigner granted Employment visa.
Family members/dependants of a foreigner who is granted Employment visa shall be granted `Entry' visa provided the family members are otherwise eligible for grant of such a Visa. Its validity shall be co-terminus with the validity of the visa of the principal visa holder or for such shorter period as may be considered necessary by the Indian Mission.
In the case of applicants from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Afghanistan and foreign nationals of Pakistani origin (Pakistan nationals not eligible for employment visa) prior clearance of Government of India would be required to issue an Employment Visa.Next
Checklist and Application Forms
Steps To Follow
Please refer to the table to select the correct Indian Mission when filling out your online Visa Application Form. An incorrect choice may need you to redo your application.
Your Residential State Indian Mission to be selected New South Wales, South Australia Australia- Sydney Victoria, Tasmania Australia- Melbourne Australian Capital Territory, Queensland Australia- Canberra Western Australia, Northern Territory Australia- Perth
The checklist for the application category that you apply for will provide details on which specific forms you may need to download. In some instances, there may be more than one form.
Complete a separate checklist and application form/s for each person applying. Ensure the documents are completed accurately and signed where needed.
Employment Visa Checklist Form D – Additional Form to be completed ( for specific situations as indicated on the Visa checklist ) Form N- Renunciation of Indian Citizenship Form J (Statutory Declaration for Change of Appearance)
Before you click on the complete online application form button below, remember you must print out the application form once completed online, checklist (one per person) and additional forms as indicated above if any. Return to this page to complete Step 3.Complete Online Application Form
Now that you have completed Step 2, you’re ready to submit your application. Make sure you have signed the application form/s and checklist where required and have all supporting documents in place.
Incomplete applications or applications with incorrect photographs specifications cannot be accepted and will be returned. Refer to Application and Service Terms
By Post/ Courier- If you decide to send in your application by Post/ Courier click here for details on how to submit your application.
In Person- If you decide to submit your application in person by appointment at an Application Centre, click below to book your appointment.Book An Appointment
Fees and Charges
Click on the Fee Calculator Icon to calculate fees applicable.
Fees for Visa services are subject to revision every month depending upon the prevailing Rate of Exchange.
Credit/Debit card surcharge of 1.95% applicable for card payments. Only Master card or Visa cards issued in Australia are acceptable
Emergency Processing Fees:
Issued for Business travellers, requiring to travel in an emergency or in the case of travel required for an urgent medical condition /death of a close relative a Consular Emergency fee of $141 + VFS Global Emergency Processing Fee of $88 (inclusive of GST) is applicable over an above standard fees.
IPVSC centres provide a courier service to return your processed applications back to your address at an additional service charge of AUD 19.95 (inclusive of GST) and return by courier for Visa and few Consular Miscellaneous services Application is purely optional service selected for convenience to the applicants
Optional SMS service provide you with three SMS updating you in real time on the status tracking of your lodged application at an additional service charge of AUD 1.99 (inclusive of GST)
Preferred mode of payment
At the application centre by Credit Card/EFTPOS
At the application centre in Cash
Other Payment modes
Fees can be paid by Money Order/Postal Order, in favour of, “VFS Services Australia Pty Ltd” or you may fill in the “Credit Card Authority form” and send along your postal application.
For all type of applications, same day pick up requests will incur an additional VFS Global Emergency Processing Fee of Au$88.00 (inclusive of GST) including interim/complete withdrawal cases.Previous Next
Strictly do not finalize travel plans before receiving the service applied for. Processing times below are average processing times. Please plan your travel accordingly.
VFS Global/Government of India would not be responsible for any inconvenience/problems faced as a result of finalizing travel plans before obtaining the relevant service.
Applicants sending their documents by Post/Courier are requested to ensure that they are completed and meet requirements. Processing times mentioned do not include transit time by post/courier. Transit times by Courier are generally 1-3 days on average and may be higher in remote or rural areas.
Incomplete applications will lead to an increase in processing time and applicants will need to comply with any changes in the procedure that may occur during this time. As a part of Processing Incomplete applications are returned and Courier Return fees will apply. See terms and conditions for further details
- For Visas: Turnaround times for Complete Visa Applications.
- Average of 5 Working Days: For Applications submitted in Canberra and Brisbane.
- Average of 5 Working Days: For Applications submitted in Melbourne.
- Average of 5 Working Days: For Applications submitted in Sydney and Adelaide.
- Average of 5 Working Days: For Applications submitted in Perth.
Most visa applications for Australian nationals and permanent residents of Australia would be processed with in the above mentioned period after submission of application except for below categories.
- A minimum of 45 days but could take more time
Nationals of Pakistan or any applicant (irrespective of current nationality) who previously held Pakistani nationality
- 10th working day
Non-Australians from countries other than Afghanistan, China, Macau, Taiwan, Hong Kong, DPRK, Iran, Pakistan
- A minimum of 4 weeks but could take more time
Nationals of Afghanistan, China, Macau, Taiwan, Hong Kong DPRK, Iran OR any applicant (irrespective of current nationality) who was previously a national of any of these countries
- A minimum of 45 days but could take more time
Applicants applying for conferences/seminars/workshops visa who are/ were Nationals of Afghanistan, China, Macau, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Iran, Iraq, Sudan and Pakistan (irrespective of current nationality)
Participants of conferences/seminars/workshops who are required to visit 'Restricted' or 'Protected' areas in India, or areas affected by terrorism, militancy and extremism etc. viz. Jammu & Kashmir and the North Eastern States.
Photographs should be in color and strictly as per the specifications below.
- Un-mounted - 2 inch x 2 inch in size.
- Face should cover about 70 to 80% of the photo area.
- Frame Subject with Full Face, Front view, Eyes open
- Taken within the last 6 months to reflect your current appearance.
- The photographs must be clear, well defined and taken against a plain white or light-coloured background.
- Appropriate brightness and contrast showing your skin tones naturally
- Even lighting (no shadows across or behind the face)
- Face must be square to the camera with a neutral expression, neither frowning nor smiling and with your mouth closed.
- If you must wear a head covering for religious reasons, make sure your full facial features are not obscured.
- Non-tinted prescription glasses are allowed as long as your eyes are clearly visible. Make sure that the frame does not cover any part of your eyes. Sunglasses are not acceptable.
- Headphones, wireless hands-free devices, or similar items are not acceptable in your photo.
- Photograph for Child/babies - The photograph should show the baby or child awake, looking straight at the camera with mouth closed and nothing covering the mouth. It should also show both edges of the face clearly (no toys, blankets, chair backs or other people visible) and no hair across the eyes.
There is one self-service Photo-booth available at each of our centres in Adelaide, Brisbane, Canberra, Melbourne, Perth and Sydney. The photo-booth is a self operating standard Adult photo facility and cannot be adjusted to assist with Infant, Children or Special Needs applicants’ photographs.Previous