Who can Apply?
A tourist visa can be granted to a foreigner who does not have a residence or occupation in India and whose sole objective of visiting India is recreation, sightseeing, casual visit to meet friends and relatives and attending a short term yoga programme. No other activity is permissible on a tourist visa.
The visas are not issued from the future date to match applicant’s itinerary for inward and outwards journey to/from India and are effective from the date of issue.
- A tourist visa may be issued for 1 year with multiple entries as a default option and is non extendable and non-convertible. Consequently, the reduction in period of validity of visa sought by an applicant, would not alter the visa fees.
- Multiple entry Tourist visa for a maximum period of 6 months would be the default option for the nationals of the following countries:
Afghanistan, Algeria, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belarus, China, Congo, DPRK (North Korea), Egypt, Ethiopia, Iran, Iraq, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco Nigeria, Pakistan, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, South Sudan, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Syria, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Uganda, Uzbekistan, Yemen
- Foreigners applying for voluntary work in NGO’s must apply for an employment visa.
Checklist and Application Forms
Steps To Follow
The checklist for the application category that you apply for will provide details on which specific forms you may need to download. In some instances, there may be more than one form.
Complete a separate checklist and application form/s for each person applying. Ensure the documents are completed accurately and signed where needed.
Please refer to the table below and select the correct Indian Mission when filling out your online Application Form.
Please Note: Incorrect selection will require you to fill a new form.
Once application is complete refer to the VFS locations where you can submit your applications in person/send through courier.
Your Residential State Indian Mission Jurisdiction VFS Office Location (If you are sending your application through Post/courier VFS office Location(if you are applying in person) New South Wales Australia- Sydney VFS - Sydney VFS - Sydney South Australia Australia- Sydney Australia- Sydney VFS - Adelaide Victoria Australia - Melbourne VFS - Melbourne VFS - Melbourne Tasmania Australia - Melbourne VFS - Melbourne VFS - Melbourne Australian Capital Territory Australia- Canberra VFS - Canberra VFS - Canberra Queensland Australia- Canberra Australia- Canberra VFS - Brisbane Western Australia Australia- Perth VFS - Perth VFS - Perth Northern Territory Australia- Perth VFS - Perth VFS - Perth
Please note: you can only submit your applications as per the jurisdiction to the VFS office location as mentioned in above table.
Example: if you residing in SA and wishing to apply in person, you must visit VFS - Adelaide office.
Before you click on the complete online application form button below, remember you must print out the application form once completed online, checklist (one per person) and additional forms as indicated above if any. Return to this page to complete Step 3.Complete Online Application Form
Now that you have completed Step 2, you’re ready to submit your application. Make sure you have signed the application form/s and checklist where required and have all supporting documents in place.
Incomplete applications or applications with incorrect photographs specifications cannot be accepted and will be returned. Refer to Application and Service Terms
By Post/ Courier- If you decide to send in your application by Post/ Courier click here for details on how to submit your application.
In Person- If you decide to submit your application in person by appointment at an Application Centre, click below to book your appointment.Book An Appointment
Fees and Charges
Click on the Fee Calculator Icon to calculate fees applicable.
Fees for Visa services are subject to revision every month depending upon the prevailing Rate of Exchange.
Credit/Debit card surcharge of 1.95% applicable for card payments. Only Master card or Visa cards issued in Australia are acceptable
Emergency Processing Fees:
Issued for Business travellers, requiring to travel in an emergency or in the case of travel required for an urgent medical condition /death of a close relative a Consular Emergency fee of $141 + VFS Global Emergency Processing Fee of $88 (inclusive of GST) is applicable over an above standard fees.
IPVSC centres provide a courier service to return your processed applications back to your address at an additional service charge of AUD 19.95 (inclusive of GST) and return by courier for Visa and few Consular Miscellaneous services Application is purely optional service selected for convenience to the applicants
Optional SMS service provide you with three SMS updating you in real time on the status tracking of your lodged application at an additional service charge of AUD 1.99 (inclusive of GST)
IPVSC Centres in Australia provide photography services as per the guidelines of International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO). This service is chargeable and available for standard photographs of Adult and children. (Assistance may not be available for Infant and applicants’ with Special Needs).
IPVSC centres provide the service of Photocopy and Form printing of the Documents at an additional charge of AUD 0.50 per page.
Preferred mode of payment
At the application centre by Credit Card/EFTPOS
At the application centre in Cash
Other Payment modes
Fees can be paid by Money Order/Postal Order, in favour of, “VFS Services Australia Pty Ltd” or you may fill in the “Credit Card Authority form” and send along your postal application.
For all type of applications, same day pick up requests will incur an additional VFS Global Emergency Processing Fee of Au$88.00 (inclusive of GST) including interim/complete withdrawal cases.
Strictly do not finalize travel plans before receiving the service applied for. Processing times below are average processing times. Please plan your travel accordingly.
VFS Global/Government of India would not be responsible for any inconvenience/problems faced as a result of finalizing travel plans before obtaining the relevant service.
Applicants sending their documents by Post/Courier are requested to ensure that they are completed and meet requirements. Processing times mentioned do not include transit time by post/courier. Transit times by Courier are generally 1-3 days on average and may be higher in remote or rural areas.
Incomplete applications will lead to an increase in processing time and applicants will need to comply with any changes in the procedure that may occur during this time. As a part of Processing Incomplete applications are returned and Courier Return fees will apply. See terms and conditions for further details
- For Visas: Turnaround times for Complete Visa Applications.
- Average of 5 Working Days: For Applications submitted in Canberra and Brisbane.
- Average of 5 Working Days: For Applications submitted in Melbourne.
- Average of 5 Working Days: For Applications submitted in Sydney and Adelaide.
- Average of 5 Working Days: For Applications submitted in Perth.
Most visa applications for Australian nationals and permanent residents of Australia would be processed with in the above mentioned period after submission of application except for below categories.
- A minimum of 45 days but could take more time
Nationals of Pakistan or any applicant (irrespective of current nationality) who previously held Pakistani nationality
- 10th working day
Non-Australians from countries other than Afghanistan, China, Macau, Taiwan, Hong Kong, DPRK, Iran, Pakistan
- A minimum of 4 weeks but could take more time
Nationals of Afghanistan, China, Macau, Taiwan, Hong Kong DPRK, Iran OR any applicant (irrespective of current nationality) who was previously a national of any of these countries
- A minimum of 45 days but could take more time
Applicants applying for conferences/seminars/workshops visa who are/ were Nationals of Afghanistan, China, Macau, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Iran, Iraq, Sudan and Pakistan (irrespective of current nationality)
Participants of conferences/seminars/workshops who are required to visit 'Restricted' or 'Protected' areas in India, or areas affected by terrorism, militancy and extremism etc. viz. Jammu & Kashmir and the North Eastern States.
Photographs should be in color and strictly as per the specifications below.
- Un-mounted - 2 inch x 2 inch in size.
- Face should cover about 70 to 80% of the photo area.
- Frame Subject with Full Face, Front view, Eyes open
- Taken within the last 6 months to reflect your current appearance.
- The photographs must be clear, well defined and taken against a plain white or light-coloured background.
- Appropriate brightness and contrast showing your skin tones naturally
- Even lighting (no shadows across or behind the face)
- Face must be square to the camera with a neutral expression, neither frowning nor smiling and with your mouth closed.
- If you must wear a head covering for religious reasons, make sure your full facial features are not obscured.
- Non-tinted prescription glasses are allowed as long as your eyes are clearly visible. Make sure that the frame does not cover any part of your eyes. Sunglasses are not acceptable.
- Headphones, wireless hands-free devices, or similar items are not acceptable in your photo.
- Photograph for Child/babies - The photograph should show the baby or child awake, looking straight at the camera with mouth closed and nothing covering the mouth. It should also show both edges of the face clearly (no toys, blankets, chair backs or other people visible) and no hair across the eyes.
There is one self-service Photo-booth available at each of our centres in Adelaide, Brisbane, Canberra, Melbourne, Perth and Sydney. The photo-booth is a self operating standard Adult photo facility and cannot be adjusted to assist with Infant, Children or Special Needs applicants’ photographs.