This visa allows you to travel to India for a very short period in which you can change flights at an airport. You are also able to leave the transit zone of the airport.
Generally, the Embassy of India issues a visa valid for 15 days, 2 entries. However, maximum stay in India must not exceed 72 hours for each visit. This visa cannot be exchanged and cannot be renewed in India. The Embassy of India, Madrid reserve the right to grant the visa for a shorter duration than that requested. In such cases no refund of fees paid would be made.
Please note: Like all other visa categories, the Transit Visa validity begins from the date of issue of the visa. Should you require a longer validity, you should apply for a Tourist Visa.
Your payment allows you to deposit an application. The latter can be accepted, refused or modified by the Embassy of India in its full right. Once fees have been paid, they cannot be refunded, even in a case of an application refusal or cancellation.
Modes of payment
Please refer to the page of the mode of submission that you are planning to use to find the list of accepted modes of payment.
The price of your application is made up of fixed service charges and variable consular charges. Please consult the fees chart below in order to calculate the total amount to pay.
|Print Fees Brochure|
Kindly print the check list which corresponds with the visa category you wish to apply for and attach it with your application. It must be filled in and signed. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
|Print Transit Visa Checklist|
Photographs should be in colour and strictly as per the specifications below.
- Un-mounted - 2 inch x 2 inch in size.
- Face should cover about 70 to 80% of the photo area.
- Frame Subject with Full Face, Front view, Eyes open
- Taken within the last 6 months to reflect your current appearance.
- The photographs must be clear, well defined and taken against a plain white background.
- Appropriate brightness and contrast showing your skin tones naturally
- Even lighting (no shadows across or behind the face)
- Face must be square to the camera with a neutral expression, neither frowning nor smiling and with your mouth closed.
- If you must wear a head covering for religious reasons, make sure your full facial features are not obscured.
- Non-tinted prescription glasses are allowed as long as your eyes are clearly visible. Make sure that the frame does not cover any part of your eyes. Sunglasses are not acceptable.
- Headphones, wireless hands-free devices, or similar items are not acceptable in your photo.
- Photograph for Child/babies - The photograph should show the baby or child awake, looking straight at the camera with mouth closed and nothing covering the mouth. It should also show both edges of the face clearly (no toys, blankets, chair backs or other people visible) and no hair across the eyes.
A photo service is available in all of our offices
It is strongly advised that applicants do not make any travel arrangements before obtaining an Indian visa. The Embassy of India and VFS Global Spain SL cannot, in any circumstances, be held responsible for any applications which are not completed in time for your intended date of departure. Kindly note that obtaining a visa is not automatic; your visa application may be accepted, modified or refused by the Embassy of India in its full right.
Applications processed individually
Each visa application is processed individually by the Embassy of India: as a result processing times may vary between applications that appear to be similar. It is particularly frequent for families and groups who have submitted their applications simultaneously to receive their visas with a few days gap.
Minimum processing times
The company VFS Global Spain SL has no influence over the processing times of a visa application: these depend essentially on the Embassy of India and to a lesser extent on the postal services (in case you have opted for a return courier service). We are therefore not in a position to guarantee maximum processing times. We are only able to communicate minimum processing times, provided for information purposes only.
|Minimum processing times for applicants holding a Spanish passport. These processing times are not applicable for Spanish nationals of Pakistani origins.|
|Mode of Submission||Minimum Processing Time|
|In Madrid||Minimum 3 working days but may take longer|
|In Barcelona||Minimum 8 working days but may take longer|
|In Las Palmas||Minimum 10 working days but may take longer|
|By Post||Minimum 10 working days but may take longer|
|Certain visa categories go through a closer examination requiring a few additional days to process. It is quite frequent for the examination of Employment Visa, Research Visa or Medical Visa applications to require a few weeks when submitted over the counter in the Madrid office.
The Embassy of India reserves the right to withhold any application submitted for an in-depth examination: your application may in such cases be referred to the Indian government and we would not be in a position to advise on the processing times.
|Minimum processing times for applicants holding a non-Spanish passport|
|Minimum processing times for a non-Spanish passport. These processing times are not applicable for the following nationals: Bangladeshi/ Pakistani /Sri Lankan & Travel Document holders
Please note that processing times may vary considerably from one nationality to another. The examination of your application is done in coordination with the Embassy of India holding jurisdiction over your nationality. Some applications may require a processing time much greater than the minimum processing times given below. Under no circumstances should you purchase your travel ticket before obtaining a visa.
|In Madrid||Minimum 6 working days but may take longer|
|In Barcelona||Minimum 12 working days but may take longer|
|In Las Palmas||Minimum 15 working days but may take longer|
|By Post||Minimum 15 working days but may take longer|
|Minimum processing times for applicants of Pakistani nationality/origin|
|Your visa application is reviewed directly by the Indian Government and not by the Embassy of India in Madrid. The response of the Indian Government is compulsory for the visa to be granted. In some special cases, processing can take several months.
Your travel arrangements should always be made after you have obtained your visa. Furthermore, your travel dates will have to be organised according to the validity of the visa granted to you. You must never purchase your travel ticket or plan your travel before obtaining a visa.
|Minimum processing times for holders of a refugee travel document|
|If you are holding a Spanish refugee travel document processing time will be a minimum of 45 working days|
ONLINE APPLICATION FORM
The online visa application form is an essential and obligatory element of your India visa application and has been created and is operated directly by the Indian Government. As a private outsourcing partner of the Embassy of India, Madrid, VFS Global Spain SL has no influence over the content of the website or the form and are not in a position to modify its content or structure.
After having filled your form online, a printable form (in the format of a PDF file) will be generated automatically with your personal details. You will need to download this file, print it, glue your photos and sign each page.
Help, translation and user guide.
The online visa application form is only available in English. However, our services have provided a step-by-step user guide which translates and explains each question in Spanish.
|Print the user guide for the online application form|
Instructions to fill in the online visa application form
- You must select REGULAR visa application
- The Indian Government online visa application form is common to many Indian Embassies across the world. In order for your form to be valid in Spain and at the Embassy of India, Madrid, you must select “Spain – Madrid” in the drop down menu on the first page of the online form (opposite the title Indian Mission).
- Make sure that your computer is equipped with the Adobe Acrobat Reader software. This software is required to access all of our forms. You can download this by clicking here.
- You must answer all questions. Your answers should be in English.
- After having filled your form online, you should print it and glue your photos conforming to the Indian Government specifications. Finally you should sign both pages of your form.
- You should not to use any special characters or punctuation in any questions on the form: these could lead to errors during the processing of your application.
- Where names of people are asked (mother, father, spouse) please ensure to write their full name and not just the first name or surname.
- No manual corrections should be made on the application form. In case of a mistake you will be required to fill a new form or modify the existing one online.
The Embassy of India, Madrid reserves the right to grant a visa for duration of less than that requested. In this case no refunds of fees paid will be made.
How long will my form be valid?
Under instruction from the Indian Government and in order to protect your personal data, your application details would be kept for a maximum of 20 days. It is therefore necessary to submit your application within 20 days of registering online. If we do not receive your application before this period, we would no longer be able to access your data (they will have been deleted) and you would be required to complete a new online form.
Your visa application file may require additional documents as per your nationality, origin, the mode of submission you have chosen or the age of the applicant. You may find all the additional forms on this page.
|Form (click on the title to print)||Description|
|Declaration Form||Declaration Form to be filled by all applicants when submitting any application|
|Template letter: authorisation for a minor to travel||Template letter to fill in and sign by each parent for submission of an application for a minor. You should also attach a photocopy of the family book or Birth certificate of the child and a photocopy of the identity card/passport of both parents.|
|Reference form for non-Spanish nationals||All those holding a non-Spanish passport (including dual nationals) are required to fill in the reference form for non-Spanish nationals. This form must be written in capital letters, be clearly legible and completely filled. Incomplete forms or forms which are not legible can lead to severe delays with your application.|
|Additional Form For Employment Visa||This form must be filled for all applicants applying for an Employment Visa|
|Additional Form For Project Visa||This form must be filled for all applicants applying for a Project Visa|
|Additional Form For Pakistani or Pakistani Origin||This form must be filled for all applicants holding a Pakistani passport or of Pakistani origin|