Frequently Asked Questions

General Type Questions

  • What type of visa do I need?

    It depends on the reasons why you are travelling to Australia. If you are not sure, the ‘Find a Visa’ is a tool that may help you choose an appropriate visa based on some questions it asks you. It includes the most common visa types, but does not include every visa. The ‘Find a Visa’ tool is not a substitute for your own judgement, own enquiries and/or independent advice. You will need to make sure that you can demonstrate that you meet the visa requirements before a visa is granted.

  • Can I apply in Vietnam if I live here but I’m not a Vietnamese citizen?

    The Australian Embassy/ Consulate in Vietnam only processes certain types of visas. If you are a visitor in Vietnam, your application should have been lodged with the nearest departmental office in your home country or the designated Australian processing centre.

  • What if I don’t have all the documents?

    To help you to lodge a complete application and avoid delays, there are checklists available for download that outlines all the documents you will need. If you do not provide all the documents required or requested by the case officer, you may not meet the visa requirements and your application can be refused.

  • Do I need to use an agent?

    The Australian Department of Home Affairs provides detailed information on all visas on their website at. However, if you feel that you need help with your visa application, you can seek advice from an agent. Before you do, we encourage that you read the information on the Australian Department of Home Affairs website about migration agents and refer to the Consumer Guide and translated brochures from the Office of the Migration Agent Registration Authority.

    Staff at the Australian Visa Application Centre (AVAC) and Australian Embassy/ Consulate in Vietnam cannot help complete your visa application.

  • Where can I get my documents certified?

    A commissioner of oaths, notary public, justice of the peace, qualified lawyer or an accountant with Australian Certified Practicing Accountant (CPA) or Australian Chartered Accountant (CA) recognition will be able to certify your documents. The Consular section of the Australian Embassy/ Consulate in Vietnam can also certify your documents for a fee. For information on notarial services, visit the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade website at

  • Where can I get my documents translated?

    The Australian Embassy/ Consulate in Vietnam and Australian Visa Application Centre (AVAC) does not offer translation services. There is no specified requirement as to who translates your documents provided they are a qualified translator.

  • Can I apply if my passport is valid for less than 6 months?

    Yes. However, if you are planning a short stay, it is recommended that your passport should not be expired when you are in Australia. You will need a valid passport to leave as well as enter Australia. Even with a valid visa, some airlines may decline to carry passengers whose passport has less than 6 months validity. In addition, the country you are travelling to after you depart Australia may require you to have a passport with more than 6 months validity. You should check with your intended airline and/or travel agent whether it will be an issue.

  • Where should I lodge my application?

    Please refer to the Where to lodge your application section on Australian Embassy in Vietnam website for detailed information.

  • Can I pay a fee to have my application processed faster?

    No. There is no service to expedite visa application processing for Australian visas.

  • Is there a way to track the progress of my application?

    If you lodged your application at the Australian Visa Application Centre (AVAC) you can track the progress of your application on our website. You will need your reference number on the receipt (VLN) and your date of birth and enter them in the tracking tool.

  • My passport is lost/stolen (or I’ve applied for a new passport) but my application is still pending. What should I do?

    You should send an email explaining your situation to the Australian Embassy/ Consulate in Vietnam with an image of the page that has your personal details from your old and new passports. Your case officer will update your passport details on their records. Case officer will not be able to finalise your application until they received your new passport details.

  • I’m not going to Australia anymore. Can I get a refund?

    No. The fee you paid when you lodge your application is an administrative processing fee. If you no longer wish to travel to Australia, you may choose to withdraw your visa application.

Lodging Visa Applications Online

  • Online Lodgement

    If you have chosen to lodge your application online through the Australian Department of Home Affairswebsite (, rather than through an Australian Visa Application Centre (AVAC), then an AVAC is not able to assist you with online lodgement enquiries.

    For difficulties with online lodgement you can access support on the following website:

    If you are experiencing problems with online lodgement, and have not yet lodged a visa application, you can choose to lodge a paper application with an AVAC instead.

  • How do I add documents to my application if I have already lodged?

    Once you have lodged your application online and want to provide additional documents, you can upload these documents through the website using your ImmiAccount. You will receive a letter from the Australian Department of home Affairs with an instruction about How to attach/upload documents to an application online.

  • What happens after I lodge my visa application?

    Your visa application and supporting documents will be sent to the appropriate Australian Government Immigration section for processing. A decision on your application may be made solely on the information provided. You are encouraged to provide all relevant supporting documents at the time of lodgement. Your case officer will contact you directly if further information is required.

  • What if I have an urgent need to travel?

    If you need to travel to Australia urgently you can advise staff at the time of lodgement. Only cases with compelling or compassionate circumstances will receive priority processing. All other applications should be lodged well before intended travel dates.

  • Can I pay for tickets before I have been granted a visa?

    It is recommended that you do not make inflexible travel reservations unless you have been granted a visa. If you do make travel arrangements and you have not received a visa decision, this does not constitute a compelling or compassionate reason to expedite processing.

  • How will I be notified about outcome of my application?

    Once a decision is made on your application, an email will be sent advising of the outcome. If a visa is granted, you can print this notification for your records. Australia has a label free visa program which means you do not need a visa label in your passport. Your passport and bio-data details will be stored electronically. If these details should change, you need to advise the department prior to travel.