Top Button

know Your Visa Type

  • General information on visa
  • Do I need a visa? Check here.
  • General information about visa rules is found on
  • Below you will find important points about the visa rules.
  • Denmark is part of the Schengen area. This means that you apply for a Schengen visa. Please note that when you apply for a Schengen visa at a Danish mission, Denmark has to be your main destination. You will find the Schengen visa rules here.
  • You are only allowed to stay in Schengen on a visitor’s visa for up to 90 days over a period of 180 days. To calculate your stay in Schengen, you can use the Schengen Visa Calculator.
  • Please note that in Denmark you are not allowed to take up residence or work on a Schengen visa. Read more about work permits here.
  • Family members of an EU/EEA or Swiss citizens who are exercising their right to free movement in Denmark have the right to have their visa application processed in accordance with EU regulations.
  • Some nationalities are subject to consultation during the examination of visa applications. Go to Annex 16 of the Visa Code Handbookto read, which nationalities are subject to consultation.
  • We recommend that you apply for a visa well in advance of your intended entry into Schengen. That said, please note that an application for a visa can be handled no earlier than 3 months prior to the intended entry into Schengen.
  • Only applicants staying legally in the country where the Danish mission or the Visa Application Centre is situated, may apply for a visa via Visa Application Centre.
  • Going to Greenland and/or Faroe Islands? When you hand in your visa application at the Visa Application Centre, please inform the staff that you will be travelling to Greenland and/or the Faroe Islands. Visa applications for Greenland and the Faroe Islands can only be submitted at Danish missions.
  • Please follow the step-by-step guide on how to apply for a visa.
  • If you plan to work, study, or stay longer than 90 days in Denmark, you need to apply for a residence and/or work permit. See “How to apply for a long term visa”.