top button

How To Apply


Norway belongs to the Schengen area. The Schengen area covers 26 countries ("Schengen States") without border controls between them. These countries are: Germany, Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Slovenia, Slovakia, Spain, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Norway, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Sweden and Switzerland.

These countries apply the common visa policy for short-term stays (90 days or less). Any stay that exceeds 90 days is considered a residence and requires another type of permit: not a “visa” but a residence permit.

To find out if your country's passport holders must apply for a visa or if they can travel without a visa, click on this link that will take you to the UDI website (Norwegian Directorate of Immigration).

There are two possible outcomes:

  • That it says "Citizens of your country do not need a visa to visit Norway for up to 90 days ".If you wish to read more on this subject at the UDI website (in English), you can click on the title "To visit Norway without a visa".
  • That it says "If you plan to visit Norway for less than 90 days you must apply for a visitor's visa".

JURISDICTION: WHERE YOU SHOULD APPLY FOR A VISA. If you plan to visit more than one Schengen country in the course of one trip, or if you plan several separate trips within a period of two months, you must submit your application to the embassy or consulate of the Member State that is your main destination based on the length of your stay, or the purpose of stay. If no main destination can be determined, the Member State whose external border the applicant intends to cross first in order to enter the territory of the Member States.

WHEN SHOULD YOU SUBMIT YOUR VISA APPLICATION. It is advisable to lodge the application well in advance and no later than 15 days before the intended visit. Please note that applications can be lodged no more than 6 (six) months before the start of the intended visit (9 –nine– months for seafarers.) For more information please visit


Argentine passport holders require a residence permit (whether for work, study or family reunification) if they wish to stay more than 90 days in Norway, without exception.

The following applies to nationals of other States:

  • Nationals of EU / EEA Member States do not need a temporary residence permit to reside or work in Norway. All nationals of EU / EEA Member States who will remain in Norway for more than three months must register with the Police .   
  • If the interested party is a national of a non-EU / EEA State and wishes to work in Norway or stay in Norway for more than 90 days, s/he will need a temporary residence permit.

The processing of residence permit applications is, as a rule, done by the Norwegian Directorate of Immigration (UDI). For more information visit

Working Holiday

The Working Holiday agreement allows young Argentines to work during their extended vacation in Norway.

With the purpose of promoting closer cooperation relations between the Kingdom of Norway and the Argentine Republic, the governments of these two countries agreed in June 2016 to start a work and holiday programme, “Working Holiday”. This agreement offers greater opportunities for young people in Argentina and Norway to experience the culture and general way of life in Norway and vice versa. The program allows Argentine nationals to enter Norway primarily for vacations for a prolonged period, and also to participate in the labour market as an incidental aspect of their vacation, with the purpose of supplementing their funds to solve the trip.

For more information visit

Visas of more than 90 days and residence permits for Denmark, Iceland and Sweden

The Norwegian Embassy in Buenos Aires manages visitor visas to enter Denmark, Sweden and Iceland for up to 90 days of validity but NOT permits to stay for more than 90 days or residence permits for work, study and others.

For more information please visit residence-for-iceland-and-sweden /

Previous Next