- Applications for a visa is processed by the Royal Norwegian Consulate General in New York.
- Processing time for visa applications are 15 days from when the application is received at the Norwegian Consulate in New York.
- Please note the shipment time is in addition to the processing time.
- Applications for residence permits are processed by the Norwegian Directorate of Immigration.
- Processing time for residence permits can be found on: www.udi.no
You can find the visa fees details here
Requirements for a visa
- You must pay an application fee.
- You must hand in all the documents on the Norwegian Consulate’s checklist. You will find the checklist by clicking on the “How to apply”-button below and choosing the country you live in.
- You must have a passport that is valid for at least three months after the end of your visit. The passport must be issued within the last ten years.
- You must have valid travel insurance.
- You must have enough money to finance your stay in Norway and your return journey. You must normally have NOK 500 for each day of your stay in Norway. Alternatively, someone you know, who is living in Norway, can give a financial guarantee.
- You must not be subject to a prohibition against entry to Norway or Schengen.
- If you have been in the Schengen area in the last 90 days, you must check when it is possible for you to re-enter, and how many days you can stay in Schengen. Please use the visa calculator to check this (ec.europa.eu) (external website)
- You must register your fingerprints.
- If you are under the age of 18, both of your parents, or other persons responsible for you, must sign your application.
- You must have an invitation from the people you are going to have meetings with.
- If you are visiting someone in Norway, you must have an invitation from the person you are visiting.
- You must normally have booked accommodation for the first days of your stay in Norway.
Note: We regret we cannot accept photographs that do not meet these requirements
Please provide one recent photograph (not more than 1 month old) of yourself. Please note we have additional services including photo service available at all our VFS Visa Application Centres.
The photograph should be in colour and taken against a light background (white or off-white) so that features are distinguishable and contrast against the background.
- Clear quality and with the face in focus.
- Printed on normal photographic paper (camera print).
- Full face, non-smiling [without sunglasses, a hat/cap or other head covering, unless the applicant wears such items because of their religious belief or ethnic background]
- Please stick the photograph on the Visa Application Form.
Note: Please follow these instructions carefully. If photographs presented do not meet these requirements your application will be considered incomplete.
How long do you usually have to wait for an answer?
Your application is processed by an Royal Norwegian Consulate General in New York , this will take a few more days, since your application will be sent by courier to and from the Norwegian Consulate in New York. You’ll find information on the embassy’s web pages on how long this will take.
Which applications will it take longer before receives a reply?
Most cases are processed by the Royal Norwegian Consulate General in New York , but if the Norwegian Consulate in New York is in doubt about whether you can be granted a visa, they will forward your case to the UDI.
In such cases, most applicants will receive an answer within four weeks of submitting their application to the Visa Application Centre, embassy or consulate.
In a few, very special cases, however, the case will not be processed until up to eight weeks of the application being submitted to the Visa Application Centre, embassy or consulate.
Appeals concerning rejections
You will normally receive an answer to your appeal within 5 months of submitting your application for a visitor's visa to the Visa Application Centre, embassy or consulate.
This information was last updated on 12 November 2019. It will be updated again on 17 December.
What can you do to contribute to receiving an answer as quickly as possible?
- Make sure that your application is completed correctly and in full.
- Make sure that you enclose enclose all the necessary documents, please see our checklist.
- Make sure that your, and your sponsor’s, contact information is up-to-date.
- It is also a good idea to make sure that the person who has invited you to Norway has power of attorney from you, so that we can give important information to him or her.
Online Application Form
Log onto Application Portal Norway (APN) to submit your application and pay the application fee.