top button

7 Day Entry visa - Spouse


If you wish to obtain a permit for family immigration, you must, as a general rule, have been granted a permit before entering Norway. However, in certain circumstances you may enter Norway before a permit has been granted. In such a case, you must obtain an entry visa if you are subject to the visa requirement.

The embassy might, in exceptional cases, issue a 7-day D entry visa with the purpose to apply for family reunion in Norway. If you belong to one of the following categories below and intend to stay in Norway for more than 90 days, you can apply for such an entry visa. This visa ensures valid stay for a period of 7 days, during which an application for residence permit has to be submitted at the local police office. The applicant is then entitled to stay in Norway while the application for a residence permit is being processed.

The following persons may apply for an entry visa:

  • The spouse of a Norwegian national who is living in Norway or plans to settle here.
  • The spouse of a Nordic national who has lived in Norway for the past three years if the couple has been married for at least three years.
  • The spouse of a foreign national who has a permanent settlement permit if the couple has been married for at least three years.
  • The spouse of a foreign national who has an individual permit to work in a group if the couple has been married for at least three years.
  • Spouse of a foreign national who has a work permit as a skilled worker or as a skilled worker in a multinational company.
  • Children that you and your spouse have had together who are not Norwegian nationals (children you have had with previous partners (children of only one party) must apply for family immigration via their country of origin/country of residence).

If you have not applied for and been granted a temporary work permit, you are not entitled to work during the visa period. Nor are you entitled to schooling, Norwegian language tuition and certain other benefits while you are waiting for your application to be processed.

Being granted an entry visa has no bearing on the outcome of your application for family immigration.

A 7-day D-visa will only be granted if the Embassy has been provided with documents proving that the relationship is of a long lasting and serious character. If the Norwegian citizen has previously been married to a foreigner from a country where a visa is needed to travel to Norway, or the Tanzanian citizen has previously been married to a Norwegian citizen, a 7-day D-visa will not be granted.

In order to apply for an entry visa you must register your application as a normal Schengen visa application on our Application Portal. There you will also be asked to pay the fee and apply together with your supporting documents. When the application reaches the Embassy, the Norwegian Embassy will register the application as a 7 day entry visa and your fee will be refunded by the Royal Norwegian Embassy, Dar Es Salaam .