Standard single-entry transit visas are issued to citizens of India, other countries or stateless persons entering the Russian Federation for the purposes of passing through the territory of the Russian Federation. This may be for a period of up to 10 days (by road or rail), or for a period of up to 3 days (by air), on the basis of valid tickets for departure from the Russian Federation and possession of a valid visa for entry into the next state en route, or a visa for the final port of call, or passport for that country.
Foreign citizens passing through the Russian Federation to the country of their destination in a motor car or heavy goods vehicle, are issued with a transit visa for the period of time required in order to complete the journey by the shortest routes (but in no case for a period longer than 10 days). The period of validity of the visa in such cases shall be calculated based on a theoretical average daily distance being equal to 500 km.
Transit visas may also be double-entry. The period of validity of double-entry transit visas must not exceed one month. In cases when foreign nationals need to pass through Russian territory in transit on their way to a third country, then come back through Russia more than a month later, they must apply for a single-entry transit visa and obtain a second transit visa at the Russian Embassy/Consulate in the country which was the foreign national's initial destination.
The following do not require a transit visa:
- Foreign nationals flying over the territory of the Russian Federation without changing flights in the country
- Foreign nationals flying with an international airline and changing flights in the Russian Federation, at the same airport on both the outward journey and the inbound journey (on condition that this airport has a transit area), in possession of properly completed documents confirming their right to enter the destination country, and an airline ticket with a confirmed departure date from the airport in Russia where they changed flights, no more than 24 hours after their arrival date.
Please click on the tabs above to obtain the required information about your visa application.
Important: Passengers travelling to and from Belarus via Russian Federation need to obtain the transit Russian visa irrespectively of their length of stay in the airport. You are requested to be constantly updated on the Visa Regime for the Republic of Belarus.
Please note that each visa application attracts a visa fee. Visa fees vary depending on the citizenship of the applicant, number of entries and processing time.
Please note that in addition to the visa fee applicants are required to pay the VFS Service Charge of 1830 INR (including GST) for each visa application.
Russian Visa Application Centre accepts payments for visa fees, mandatory VFS Service Charge and optional Value Added Services, which the applicant may choose to purchase.
Payments can be made at the Russian Visa Application Centre in cash or by debit / credit card.
Please note that all payments made are non-refundable.
To know the detailed visa fees please follow the link.
Documents to be submitted while applying for transit visa (single or double entry):
- Air tickets
- Visa or any other document allowing entry to the country of destination (original+copy)
- Original passport containing at least 2 blank pages for visas, valid for a period of 6 months after the visa expires (+ a good quality copy of the page with photo and address page – both on one side of an A4 sheet).
Online application form completed on the website visa.kdmid.ru, printed and signed in person by the applicant. Important: while completing the application form please select correct location for submission (the visa center you will be applying at).
Please note: applicant’s signature on the application form should match the signature in the passport
- One colour photograph 3.5 x 4.5 cm with light-coloured background, clear image of the applicant directly facing the camera, without dark/ tinted glasses or any headgear (with the exception of persons who wear such headgear due to their ethnic/ religious background, and are seen wearing the same in their passport photo).
Please note: the Consular Office reserves the right to request additional documents for processing the visa, invite the applicant for an interview or extend visa processing time.
If you are not a citizen of the Republic of India, to know the visa requirements, rates and terms please consult with Russian Visa Center specialists.
Note: The photographs submitted must meet with these specifications.
Please provide one recent colour photograph (not more than 6 months old) of yourself. The photographs should be:
- 3,5 x 4,5 cm taken against a light background (white or off-white) so that features are distinguishable and contrast against the background.
- Clear share quality and with the face in focus.
- Printed on normal photographic paper (camera print).
- Full face, non-smiling (without sunglasses, a hat/cap or other head covering, unless the applicant wears such items because of their religious belief or ethnic background).
- Please stick the Photograph on the Visa Application Form.
Note: Please follow these instructions carefully. If photographs presented do not meet these requirements your application will be considered incomplete.
The Embassy and Consulate General of the Russian Federation in India process visa applications and decide whether or not to issue a visa within the processing times service standards of up to 10 working days. This is subject to a complete set of documents being provided and consular fees paid.
The processing times may vary according to the decision of the Embassy or Consulate General of the Russian Federation in India
In emergency cases an urgent visa application may be submitted. In such cases the processing time can be shortened to just 3 working days or less, if an order to that effect has been given by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Russia, the Federal Migration Service of Russia or the Ambassador or Consul General of the Embassy of the Russian Federation in India
In addition, some applications may take 30 days if deemed necessary by the Embassy of the Russian Federation in India
To complete the online visa application form, please go Here.
Please make sure to indicate which Russian Embassy or Consulate or Russia Visa Application Centre you intend to apply for your visa. Your application will be sent to the selected authority, for a decision to be made regarding your application. If you fail to do so then you may be requested to fill in a new application form.
Upon completion of your application form please print, sign it and submit to our application centre together with all support documents, payments and passport.