Every applicant, including children/infants, has to submit his/her Schengen visa application in person and by appointment only on their appointment date, which needs to be booked online (see Schedule an Appointment) by the applicant.
For Non EU citizens who are not sure whether a Schengen visa is required to travel to the Schengen Area, please click Do I need a visa? to find out.
Applicants, who intend to travel to Austria for business purposes, i.e. visiting a business/company to have meetings, to make business deals, to recruit, to train or other work related activities can apply for a Business visa.
Every Business visa application has to be confirmed by an invitation letter from a business/company based in Austria, if not, applicant will need to apply for a Tourist visa.
In regards to conference/congress/fair/seminar/workshop the following applicants can also apply for a Business visa:
- Applicants-employees going to attend a conference/congress/fair/seminar/workshop organised by their company or another company directly related to their company
- Applicants-employees going to be actively involved in a conference/congress/fair/seminar/workshop
Employer letter needs to confirm clearly the purpose of attending the conference/congress/fair/seminar/workshop, if not, applicant will need to apply as Tourist.
Applicant must at least meet the following criteria in order to be eligible to submit a Schengen visa application:
- holding a valid passport/travel document
- holding a valid UK residence permit. In case applicant holds a short stay visa for the UK, a C type visa (see example here), then applicant needs to apply for a Schengen visa from his/her residence country.
- applying for a short stay visa (Tourist: including Minors, Visitor Family/Friends, Business, EEA/EU and Swiss national family member or Airport Transit)
|Visa Category||Visa fee (in Euro)||Visa fee (in GBP)||VFS Service fee (in GBP)|
|Tourism/Visitor Family & Friends/Conference||60.00||51.30||22.26|
|Nationals of countries with a visa facilitation agreement with the European Union: Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Kosovo, Russian Federation and Ukraine||35.00||30.00||22.26|
|Children between 6 and 12 years old||35.00||30.00||22.26|
|Children less than 6 years old||0||0||22.26|
|EXEMPTION VISA FEES||-||-||-|
|Organised groups of school pupils/students accompanied by teachers on study/educational trip; only applicable if applicants have a formal invitation from an educational institution in Austria.||0||0||22.26|
|(scientific) researchers from third countries||0||0||22.26|
|Representatives of non-profit organisations (up to 25 years old) actively participating in conferences/events (sports, cultural or educational) organised by non-profit organisations.||0||0||22.26|
Applicable visa fee, in Pound Sterling (£), is as per the current exchange rate and may be subject to change without notice.
VFS service fee (inclusive of VAT) is charged per visa application, in addition to the applicable visa fee.
All fees can be paid by cash (except in Manchester and Edinburgh) or Credit/Debit card.
Cheque payments and direct bank transfers are not accepted.
All fees are non-refundable.
The list of documents below is not an exhaustive list of documents and the applicant can always be asked to provide additional information/documents, if desired by the Mission.
Both the standard and the supporting documentation have to be recent, i.e. not older than 1 month, and need to be provided for every Schengen visa application.
Applicants always have to bring and present their original documents, but they only need to submit photocopies of the same; unless the requirements specify that an original document has to be submitted.
Before gathering the required documents mentioned below, applicants are advised to read the requirements under Overview (see here) in order to ensure they are entitled to apply for the chosen visa category.
- STANDARD DOCUMENTATION FOR SCHENGEN VISA APPLICATION
- Visa application form (original) (see here)
- Passport (original)
- UK Residence permit
- Photograph (original) (see here)
- SUPPORTING DOCUMENTATION FOR SCHENGEN VISA APPLICATION
- Proof of current occupation
- Employer letter (original): recent (less than 10 days old), signed, headed letter (addressed to the Mission, name and position of the signee and confirming applicant’s employment)
- Student letter (original): recent (less than 10 days old) signed UK university/college/school letter (addressed to the Mission and confirming applicant’s enrolment)
- Self- employment letter (original): recent (less than 10 days old) signed headed letter (addressed to the Mission and confirming applicant’s self-employment) obtained from:
- applicant’s accountant: when applicant’s company’s accountancy is done by an external/independent accountant
- solicitor: when applicant’s company has been registered by a solicitor
- bank manager: when applicant’s company has a business bank account
- Companies House: Certificate of Incorporation received upon registering business: if applicant’s name is not mentioned on certificate, then additional proof demonstrating connection applicant – company should be provided
- Tax authorities
- Proof of business invitation
- Proof of funds
- Proof of travel (airplane, train, boat, coach, (hired) car)
- Confirmed return travel tickets: mentioning applicant’s name and travel dates
- When travelling by car: car registration, car insurance, return travel tickets (ferry or Eurotunnel) mentioning the car’s registration number and driver’s driving licence. If applicant is not the driver, then driver’s cover letter (signed & dated) confirming joint travel with applicant and travel dates need to be provided too.
- Proof of accommodation
- Travel insurance (all-risk medical travel insurance, winter sports cover is mandatory during November to March)
Signed passport, at least 2 blank pages for visa purposes, must be valid for at least 90 days beyond the return date of the trip to the Schengen Area and has to be issued within the last 10 years on the day of leaving the Schengen Area.
Extended passport may still be valid, but when older than 10 years the passport is no longer acceptable; in that case applicant first needs to apply for a new passport.
Photocopies of previous Schengen visas endorsed in an old passport and issued in the last 3 years, if applicable.
UK Residence permit, endorsed in the passport or issued as a Biometrics card, must be valid for at least 90 days beyond the return date of the trip to the Schengen Area; C type visitor visa (see here) is not acceptable.
Invitation letter from a company/business in Austria confirming the purpose of visit, travel dates and arrangements for accommodation/travel (if applicable).
Entry tickets or registration for fairs/congresses/conferences/seminars (only for employees, students need to apply as tourist)
Latest 3 months UK current account bank statements showing applicant’s name, address and a positive end balance dated within 1 week on the visa application submission date. Bank balance needs to show a sufficient amount to cover the expenses during the intended stay in the Schengen Area and for the return to the UK or the country of origin/residence; alternatively online bank account printouts are also accepted.
When travel tickets have been paid through travel agency, then a receipt, an invoice or a payment confirmation is also required.
confirmed accommodation (hotel, hostel, camping,…) booking mentioning applicant’s name, travel dates and accommodation address details.
If the applicant’s name is not mentioned on the accommodation reservation, then a joint travel confirmation letter, signed and dated by the person whose name is on the reservation, must also be provided along with a photocopy of that same person’s passport/ID card + passport signature page, if signature is not on passport’s bio page.
When accommodation is reserved for a group, then a list with the names of the group members will also be required; alternatively the group members their names may also be mentioned on the travel ticket
The travel insurance – clearly showing the applicant’s name - has to be valid throughout the complete territory of the Schengen Area and must cover the entire period of the applicant’s intended stay in the Schengen Area; the minimum coverage for medical emergency and repatriation must be 30.000 €.
Please provide one recent (not older than 6 months) colour photograph of yourself, meeting the following requirements:
- Taken against a plain light (white or off-white) background so that features are distinguishable and contrast against the background
- Clear quality and with the face in focus
- Full face: non-smiling, no sunglasses, no hat/cap or any head covering, unless the applicant wears such items because of his/her religious belief or ethnic background
- Printed on normal photographic paper (camera print)
Photograph attached (glued) to the Visa Application Form
If the photographs presented do not meet these requirements (see examples here), then the visa application will be considered incomplete and applicant will be asked to take new photographs in the photo booth in the visa application centre.
Every applicant can submit his/her Schengen visa application up to 3 months before the intended travel date to the Schengen Area.
The mimimum processing time for a visa application is 2 weeks, so applicants are advised to leave enough time - between the appointment date and travel date - for the Mission to process their visa application; no guarantees can be given on the visa application’s return date as delays may occur.
For certain nationalities (see list here) the visa application needs consultation from the other Schengen countries and therefore the minimum processing time may take 3 weeks.
In order to avoid any delays in the visa application process, it is paramount that the visa application is complete and its documents submitted are as per the Mission’s requirements (see Documents Required for the different visa categories).
Applicants also need to be aware that, especially during busy season around Easter, Summer holidays (July and August) and Christmas, the appointments (see Schedule an Appointment) are being fully booked very quickly as the Mission only processes a fixed amount of visa applications on a daily basis.
Furthermore applicants need to consider that VFS/Mission’s closures and holidays (see Public Holidays/Closures) may extend the visa application processing time.
Therefore VFS recommends all applicants:
- to book their appointment as soon as they know they’ll be travelling
- to ensure that their visa application’s documentation meets the Mission’s requirements
- to leave enough processing time for the Mission
Applicants submitting their visa application in our satellite centre in Manchester or Edinburgh, need to calculate 2 extra days to their minimum processing time as their visa application will first be dispatched to the VFS London office, from where it is forwarded to the Mission in London the following day.
The Mission may always request for additional information/documents or invite applicants for an interview during the visa application process and this may cause delays in the visa process, which applicants accept responsibility for.
In order to apply for Austria visa applicants needs to provide an online visa application form (VAF).(The application form cannot be hand filled)
Therefore each applicant first needs to duly complete and print the online Schengen visa application form as follows:
- Click Schengen Visa Application form (PDF format)
- Duly complete the online visa application form (as per the passport’s details)
- Select File in Menu bar
- Select Print and confirm Printing
Once the online Schengen visa application form has been printed then applicant needs to finish the remaining steps:
- Sign the completed visa application form in the designated places (1st signature at no.37, 2nd signature right under the disclaimer at the end of the VAF)
- Bring the signed visa application form with the supporting documents on his/her appointment day
Please note that hand filled applications will not be accepted any more at the visa application centre.( schedule an appointment)