Permanent Residence Appeal
Applicants can appeal for rejections by completing the online application form. Appeals are subject to DHA approval and applicant need to apply within 10 working days for section 8 (4) from the date of receiving the decision. For section 8 (6), applicant need to apply within 10 working days from the date of receiving the decision.
All appeal applications will now follow a revised online process. This will be effective from the 26 January 2019.
Applicants are requested to refer to the below before applying for an appeal application:
- Applicants will only be able to apply for an appeal application once their previous application has been collected from the VFS application centre.
- Applicants will only be able to submit an appeal application within 10 days of collecting the rejected outcome.
- Applicants can only appeal once under the appeal category 8(4) and if rejected for the second time they will have one last opportunity to submit a final appeal under appeal category 8(6) which is then submitted for the review of the director general.
For any enquiries please contact the VFS call centre on 012 425 3000.
- Duly completed online form. Handwritten forms will not be accepted by Department of Home Affairs.
- Applicants are requested to get original documents for verification while submitting photocopies for any visa / permit category
- Valid Original passport
- Copy of rejection letter citing reasons for the rejection
- A copy of the applicant’s passport and copy of the latest visa or permit that was issued to the applicant.
- Confirmation of rejected online application reference number The application reference number of the rejected application
- A written and signed representation/motivation for an Appeal in response to the rejection letter which includes any other information that would assist the Minister to make an informed decision when considering the Appeal.
- Any other supporting documents that the applicant wishes to attach to the appeal
- Proof of applicable fee
The Department of Home Affairs is committed to the following turnaround times for specific categories of visas and permits:
Permanent residence finalized within 8 months (Only for extra-ordinary skills, general work and business applications)
Temporary Residence visa applications for Business and general work visas will be finalized within 8 weeks or less (40 working days) and
Temporary Residence visa applications for Critical skills work visas will be finalized within 4 weeks or less (20 working days).
All other categories for Temporary Residence visa applications will be finalised in 60 working days from date of submission at VFS (renewals, change of conditions, extensions. Not applicable to Appeals)
All other categories for permanent residence permit applications will be finalised between 12 months to 24 months from date of submission at VFS.
You can track your application online on VFS Global website to determine status of your application.
DHA Application Fee
VFS Service Fee
Premium Lounge (Optional Service)
All fees are inclusive of VAT and to be paid in South African Rand. Above listed fees are non-refundable once the application is received by VFS Global and Department of Home Affairs.
Once all supporting documentation is available as per the documentary checklist kindly proceed to complete the online application form. You will be required to pre-pay a minimum amount of R1350 in order to secure and schedule your appointment online.
Payment to secure your online appointment can be made in three methods:
- Online payment via Debit/Credit card through the secure online portal
- Pre-payment at Standard Bank by downloading and completing the online generated bank receipt and depositing the cash into the nearest Standard Bank
- EFT payment through the secure online portal
Note- When selecting the pre-payment option, after payment has been done you are required to visit your online application form after 3 working days to proceed to schedule your appointment.