Applicants can apply for an Exemption by completing the online application form. Exemptions are subject to DHA approval.
- Duly competed online form. Handwritten forms will not be accepted by Department of Home Affairs.
- Applicants are requested to get original documents for verification while submitting photocopies for any visa / permit category
- Original passport
- Copies of passport and previous visas
- Original Bank payment / Electronic Fund Transfer receipt for each applicant
- Original and Copy of Bank Receipt per applicant in case of Repatriation / Bank Guarantee paid in Department of Home Affairs Account
- Appointment Letter A letter signed by the applicant citing reasons for the exemption and a comprehensive motivation for each reason provided.
- A copy of the applicant’s curriculum vitae.
- A copy of the applicant’s passport and all temporary residence permits affixed therein.
- A copy of the employment contract signed by both the employer and the employee, if applicable.
- Background on the company/institution for record purposes.
- Any other information that would assist the Minister to make an informed decision when considering an exemption.
The Department of Home Affairs is committed to the following turnaround times for specific categories of visas and permits:
Permanent residence finalized within 8 months (Only for extra-ordinary skills, general work and business applications)
Temporary Residence visa applications for Business and general work visas will be finalized within 8 weeks or less (40 working days) and
Temporary Residence visa applications for Critical skills work visas will be finalized within 4 weeks or less (20 working days).
All other categories for Temporary Residence visa applications will be finalised in 60 working days from date of submission at VFS (renewals, change of conditions, extensions. Not applicable to Appeals)
All other categories for permanent residence permit applications will be finalised between 12 months to 24 months from date of submission at VFS.
You can track your application online on VFS Global website to determine status of your application.
DHA Application Fee
VFS Service Fee
Premium Lounge (Optional Service)
All fees are inclusive of VAT and to be paid in South African Rand. Above listed fees are non-refundable once the application is received by VFS Global and Department of Home Affairs.
Once all supporting documentation is available as per the documentary checklist kindly proceed to complete the online application form. You will be required to pre-pay a minimum amount of R1350 in order to secure and schedule your appointment online.
Payment to secure your online appointment can be made in three methods:
- Online payment via Debit/Credit card through the secure online portal
- Pre-payment at Standard Bank by downloading and completing the online generated bank receipt and depositing the cash into the nearest Standard Bank
- EFT payment through the secure online portal
Note- When selecting the pre-payment option, after payment has been done you are required to visit your online application form after 3 working days to proceed to schedule your appointment.