Applicants applying for a permanent residence permit maybe required to have proof that applicant has been a spouse of citizen or permanent resident for five years. A declaration of support for the application by the spouse who is a citizen or permanent resident and an identity document of the spouse who is the citizen or permanent resident will be required. If the spouse is a permanent resident, a copy of his or her permanent residence permit must be submitted.
Note: all documents issued by the issuing authority of the country of origin shall be original or certified copies and where applicable translated into english, which translation shall be certified as a correct translation by a sworn translator.
Applicants must renew their temporary resident visa whilst awaiting the outcome for permanent residence permit
- VFS appointment letter.
- A duly completed DHA-947 form online. Handwritten forms will not be accepted by the Department of Home Affairs.
- Payment of the application fee of R1350. If the application fee was paid to VFS bank account or the mission, an original bank payment receipt, where the application fee was paid using the Electronic Fund Transfer (EFT), receipt for each applicant.
- Present a valid original passport in respect of applicant and passport photograph. A recent, passport-type, full face photograph bearing the names of the applicants on the reverse side thereof. (Machine-type or instant photographs are not acceptable).
- A valid spousal visa for temporary sojourn at the time of application in respect of applicant, if the application is made in the Republic.
- Unabridged birth certificate, or extract from birth record for applicant(s).
- A deed poll in the case of the applicant who has changed his or her name, surname or sex.
- Original Police clearance certificate issued by the police or security authority in each country where the relevant applicant resided for 12 months or longer after attaining the age of 18 years except for South Africa, in respect of criminal records or the character of that applicant, which certificate shall not be older than six months at the time of its submission: (Provided that the certificate shall not be required from a foreign country in the case of renewal or extension of a visa)
- Medical report for all applicants. The certificate must not be older than six (6) months at the time the applicant submits an application.
- Yellow fever vaccination certificate if that person travelled or intends travelling from or transit through a yellow fever endemic area: Provided that the certificate shall not be required where that person travelled or intends travelling in direct transit through such area or where an application is made in the Republic.
- A marriage certificate, a notarial agreement, a customary union certificate and a civil union certificate as proof that the applicant has been the spouse of a citizen or permanent resident for five years at the time of application.
- A notarial agreement signed by both parties attesting that – (i) the permanent spousal homosexual or heterosexual relationship has existed for at least two years before the date of application for a relevant visa and five years at the time of application for permanent residence permit and that the relationship still exist to the exclusion of any other person and (ii) neither of the parties is a spouse in an existing marriage or a permanent homosexual or heterosexual relationship.
- Divorce decree to prove the dissolution of a marriage in the case where a party was a spouse in the previous marriage or the death certificate of the deceased spouse.
- Declaration of support for the application by the spouse who is a citizen or permanent resident.
- Proof of financial support to each other.
- Copy of the Identity document of the spouse who is the citizen or permanent resident.
- Copy of permanent residence permit if the spouse is a permanent resident.
- Present yourself for biometrics at the visa facilitation centre.
The Department of Home Affairs is committed to the following turnaround times for specific categories of visas and permits:
Permanent residence finalized within 8 months (Only for extra-ordinary skills, general work and business applications)
Temporary Residence visa applications for Business and general work visas will be finalized within 8 weeks or less (40 working days) and
Temporary Residence visa applications for Critical skills work visas will be finalized within 4 weeks or less (20 working days).
All other categories for Temporary Residence visa applications will be finalised in 60 working days from date of submission at VFS (renewals, change of conditions, extensions. Not applicable to Appeals)
All other categories for permanent residence permit applications will be finalised between 12 months to 24 months from date of submission at VFS.
You can track your application online on VFS Global website to determine status of your application.
DHA Application Fee
VFS Service Fee
26 (b) Spouse
Premium Lounge (Optional Service)
All fees are inclusive of VAT and to be paid in South African Rand. Above listed fees are non-refundable once the application is received by VFS Global and Department of Home Affairs.
Once all supporting documentation is available as per the documentary checklist kindly proceed to complete the online application form. You will be required to pre-pay a minimum amount of R1350 in order to secure and schedule your appointment online.
Payment to secure your online appointment can be made in three methods:
- Online payment via Debit/Credit card through the secure online portal
- Pre-payment at Standard Bank by downloading and completing the online generated bank receipt and depositing the cash into the nearest Standard Bank
- EFT payment through the secure online portal
Note- When selecting the pre-payment option, after payment has been done you are required to visit your online application form after 3 working days to proceed to schedule your appointment.