Applicants who are travelling to Finland and will be visiting family or friends.
Before applying, please ensure you understand your particular ‘purpose of visit’. Schengen visas must be applied for at the respective Embassy/Consulate of the country of your main destination. Your main destination will be the Schengen country where your duration of stay exceeds all others. Due to this, when traveling to more than one Schengen country, you should submit your application to the Embassy/Consulate representing the country of your main destination. In case of equal stay, one has to submit their application to the mission of the Schengen country representing their first port of entry.
Finland Visa Application Centre in Ethiopia accepts applications for short stay visas only. A passport should be valid for at least three (3) months beyond the intended stay in Finland and there should be at least two (2) empty pages available in the passport.
Click on the other tabs on this page to view more information about the application process.
|Nationality||Visa fees effective 02 February 2020|
|(in EUR and local currency)|
|Age 12 years and above||EUR 80 (ETB 2780)|
|Children, ages 6–11 (unless otherwise stated in the Visa Facilitation Agreement)||EUR 40 (ETB 1380)|
|Children, 0 to 5 years old||EUR 0 (ETB 0)|
|Schengen visa for citizens, incl. children, ages 6–11, from the countries listed below (the EU has the Visa Facilitation Agreement with these countries):||EUR 35 (ETB 1220)|
|- Russian Federation|
|- Cape Verde||EUR 80 (ETB2780)|
Methods of payment for visa fees:
If the applicant submits their visa application at the Finland Visa Application Centre:
Payment to be made to the cashier counter at the Visa Application Centre
Applicants exempted from visa fee:
- Applicants under the Directive 2004/38/EC
- Diplomatic and official passport holders
- School pupils, students, post graduate students and accompanying teachers who undertake trips for the purpose of study or educational training - TO BE EVALUATED CASE BY CASE
- Researchers travelling for the purpose of carrying out scientific research - TO BE EVALUATED CASE BY CASE
- Representatives of non-profit organisations, aged 25 years or less participating in seminars, conferences, sports, cultural or educational events by non-profit organisations – TO BE EVALUATED CASE BY CASE
Service charge applicable when applying at the Finland Visa Application Centre:
|VFS Service fee||30||1040|
*Please note that the service fee is inclusive of all taxes
- Special note for all applicants applying at the Visa Application Centre:
- The applicable visa fees in ETB depend on the current exchange rate, which can be changed without any notifications
- The visa fees and VFS Service fees need to be paid to the cashier counter at the Visa Application Centre
- Applicants who are exempted from the visa fees need to pay only the VFS service fee
- The fees are non-refundable and non-transferable.
Please note that the visa category chosen by the applicant must be based on the purpose of travel to Finland and the decision must be made by the applicant him/herself. An application filled incorrectly and carelessly can cause a refusal of the visa application. The applicant may need to submit additional details. The applicant may be asked to come for an interview at the Embassy.
|HERE YOU CAN DOWNLOAD THE CHECKLIST OF REQUIRED DOCUMENTS BY CLICKING THE PDF-FILE.
CHECKLIST CAN BE PRINTED AND ATTACHED TO VISA APPLICATION.
|Applicants under directive 2004/38/EC||PDF-File|
|Study, Professional training||PDF-File|
|Private Visit (Family and Friends)||PDF-File|
To see the visa application photo specifications, please, click here.
Travel Medical Insurance
Each applicant (including children) must have a travel medical insurance. Exceptions are applicants under the directive 2004/38/EC and family members of citizens of Finland as well as holders of diplomatic and official passports.
Basic requirements for an insurance policy:
- Insurance should cover the entire intended duration of stay in the Schengen area.
Insurance validity area should cover the whole Schengen area or to be worldwide. No area restrictions are allowed (for example “Finland, Schengen”).
- The insurance coverage limit should be not less than 30.000 euros or equivalent amount in other currency (for example 974 144 ETB)
- The insurance policy should insure your costs in case of sudden illness or accident and assistance on site, including the costs of medical repatriation to the place of permanent residence of the insured person or the repatriation in case of death.
Original or copy insurance policy needs to be presented during submission; applicant can provide a copy to the application (the Mission does not return documents after application has been processed).
Travel medical insurances can be bought from any European insurance company and from companies from the Common list of recognized Travel Medical Insurance Companies in Ethiopia.
An applicant for multiple-entry visa should provide an insurance policy which covers at least the first trip. The applicant undertakes to purchase an insurance policy for further trips by signing the visa application.
The processing of the application takes up to 15 calendar days, but can take longer if the application is not complete or when further scrutiny of the application is needed. Please note that all applications are processed individually. The Embassy may request further documentation and information or you may be called for an interview which can prolong the processing time.
Please note that as per the Article 23 of regulation of the European Parliament and of the Council establishing a Community code on Visas (Visa Code) the period of consideration of your visa application by the respective Consular authority may be extended up to a maximum of 30 calendar days. Exceptionally, when additional documentation is needed in specific cases, the period may be extended up to a maximum of 60 calendar days.
An application filled incorrectly and carelessly can cause delay or denial of a visa. Submitting all the required documents when submitting the visa application will speed up the processing time. The applicant may be asked to supply additional details, e.g. a more detailed plan of trip. The visa application will be decided on without the requested documents and the decision may be to the applicant’s disadvantage, if requested documents are not submitted to the Finland Visa Application Centre or the Finnish Embassy by the date agreed.
Embassy of Finland in Ethiopia will return processed passports to the Finland Visa Application Centre. The applicants may subscribe for a Courier Service at the time of application submission or collect the documents from the Finland Visa Application Centre where they applied, when their processed passport is ready for collection.
Please Click here to get information about your Schengen visa application status.