Renunciation of Indian Citizenship and Surrender of Indian Passports
Who Can Apply?
The Indian Citizenship Act, 1955, does not allow dual citizenship. Many individuals continue to retain their Indian passports and some even travel on them and there are yet others who get fresh passports issued by suppression of information even several years after they have acquired foreign citizenship. Keeping an Indian passport/acquiring an Indian passport/travelling on an Indian passport after acquisition of foreign citizenship constitutes an offence under the Indian Passport Act, 1967, and attracts penalties.
Indian passport holders, who have acquired foreign citizenship, are required to surrender their Indian passports to the nearest India Passport and Visa Services centre after acquisition of foreign citizenship. The Government of India has fixed the fee for renouncing the Indian Citizenship/surrender of Indian passport.
PIOs who have already acquired foreign citizenship voluntarily shall cease to be Indian citizenship. However, such persons are required to surrender their Indian passport, whether valid or expired so that the passport is not misused.
Features of the rules:-
- Persons of Indian Origin (PIO) intending to apply for Visa, OCI Cards, are required to renounce Indian citizenship/surrender their Indian passports along with their Visa/OCI applications or first apply for renunciation of Indian citizenship/surrender their Indian passport and then apply for these services. In case they do not have the Indian passports in their possession for any reason (loss/misplacement/submission to Department of Immigration and Citizenship a long time back, etc.), they are required to provide statutory declaration in this regard and pay the fees.
- All applications for renunciation/surrender of Indian passports are to be made at the India Passport and Visa Services centre.
- Fee schedule for renunciation of Indian citizenship and Surrender of Indian passport (in AUD) with effect from 11 October 2012 is given below.
|Aspect||Fees For Renunciation|
|Acquired foreign citizenship on or prior to 31 May 2010||AUD 24|
|Acquired foreign citizenship after 31 May 2010||AUD 147|
Checklist and Application Forms
Steps To Follow
The checklist for the application category that you apply for will provide details on which specific forms you may need to download. In some instances, there may be more than one form.
Complete a separate checklist and Online application form/s for each person applying. Ensure the documents are completed accurately and signed where needed.
Renunciation of Indian Citizenship and Surrender of Indian Passports Checklist FORM XXII - Declaration
Once application is complete refer to the VFS locations where you can submit your applications in person/send through courier.
Your Residential State VFS Office Location (If you are sending your application through Post/courier VFS office Location(if you are applying in person) New South Wales VFS - Sydney VFS - Sydney South Australia Australia- Sydney VFS - Adelaide Victoria VFS - Melbourne VFS - Melbourne Tasmania VFS - Melbourne VFS - Melbourne Australian Capital Territory VFS - Canberra VFS - Canberra Queensland Australia- Canberra VFS - Brisbane Western Australia VFS - Perth VFS - Perth Northern Territory VFS - Perth VFS - Perth
Please note: you can only submit your applications as per the jurisdiction to the VFS office location as mentioned in above table.
Example: if you residing in SA and wishing to apply in person, you must visit VFS - Adelaide office.
Before you click on the complete online application form button below, remember you must print out the application form once completed online, checklist (one per person) and additional forms as indicated above if any. Return to this page to complete Step 2.
Now that you have completed Step 1, you’re ready to submit your application. Make sure you have signed the application form/s and checklist where required and have all supporting documents in place.
Incomplete applications or applications with incorrect photographs specifications cannot be accepted and will be returned. Refer to Application and Service Terms
By Post/ Courier- If you decide to send in your application by Post/ Courier click here for details on how to submit your application.
In Person- If you decide to submit your application in person by appointment at an Application Centre, click below to book your appointment.Book An Appointment
Fees and Charges
Please click on the Fee Calculator Icon to calculate fees applicable. Fees for Consular Miscellaneous services are subject to revision every month depending upon the prevailing Rate of Exchange.
For applications sent by Express post/courier to the IPVSCs:
Fees can be paid by Money Order/Postal Order in favour of “VFS Services Australia Pty Ltd” or by card, by completing the “Credit Card Authority form*”, and sending it along your postal application.
For applications submitted by appointment at the IPVSCs:
By cash in AUD or Debit or Credit Card/EFTPOS*
* Credit/Debit card surcharge of 1.20% applicable for card payments. Only Australian issued Master card or Visa cards are accepted.
Personal cheques will not be accepted at any time.
Know more about our Value Added Services too:
Courier Pick up Service:
Get your documents picked up directly from your home or office for priority lodgement.
Safe, fast and convenient - we’ll arrange a pick up of your documents and passports directly from your nominated address.
Save time, travel costs and avoid the risk of infection, with no need to arrange multiple visits to the IPVSC at an additional service charge of AUD 22.00
Complete your Courier Pick up Service request form here
Courier Return Service:
IPVSC centres provide a courier service to return your processed applications back to your address at an additional service charge of AUD 22.00 (inclusive of GST)
Digital Photography Service:
Support your application with high-quality personal photographs.
Want to ensure that your photos meet the required standards, but don’t have the time to get one? Not to worry! Snap a pic on your smart phone, email it to us and we’ll take care of the rest.
Save time, travel costs and avoid the risk of infection, with no need to arrange multiple visits to the IPVSC at an additional service charge of AUD 17.00
Read what to do next here
Note: This option is only available to applicants lodging via Express post/courier
Support your application with high-quality personal photographs.
Want to ensure that your photos meet the required standards, or forgot to bring an image of your own? Not to worry!
Our friendly staff are available to photograph you, during your visit to the IPVSC, ensuring that you have a photograph that meets the quality standards required for a visa submission. It’s quick, affordable and easy, and our staff can handle it all for you at an additional service charge in AUD.
Save time and protect your valuable original documents with our Photocopying service. The quality of your photocopied documents is extremely important to your application, and with our Photocopying service, you can be sure that your documents are ready for your visa application. We offer fast, high-powered machines working on top-quality paper at our IPVSCs. It’s fast, easy and affordable.
You can get your documents photocopied in Black and White at the IPVSCs at an additional charge of AUD 0.50 per page.
When you visit the IPVSC, you will be able to make print outs of any documentation you might need for your application or travel.
IPVSC centres provide the service of printing of the Forms/Documents at an additional charge of AUD 1.00 per page.
Stay updated about your visa application’s status with our SMS service. As a part of this service we send automated messages about your visa application to your mobile phone and automated email messages to the email address you provided in your application form. Read through the SMS Service Disclaimer before requesting for this service.
Note: This value added service is available for local Australian SMS only at an additional service charge of AUD 2.50
Same day Pick up service:
For all type of applications, same day approved pick up requests will incur an additional VFS Global Urgent Logistic Processing fee of AUD 88.00 (inclusive of GST), including for interim/complete withdrawal cases.
Strictly do not finalize travel plans before receiving the service applied for. Processing times below are average processing times. Please plan your travel accordingly.
VFS Global/Government of India would not be responsible for any inconvenience/problems faced as a result of finalizing travel plans before obtaining the relevant service.
Applicants sending their documents by Post/Courier are requested to ensure that they are completed and meet requirements. Processing times mentioned do not include transit time by post/courier. Transit times by Courier are generally 1-3 days on average and may be higher in remote or rural areas.
Incomplete applications will lead to an increase in processing time and applicants will need to comply with any changes in the procedure that may occur during this time. As a part of Processing Incomplete applications are returned and Courier Return fees will apply. See terms and conditions for further details
For Renunciation of Indian Citizenship and Surrender of Indian Passports
Average of 5 working days
Secure and Safe return choice:
Renunciation of Indian Citizenship and Surrender of Indian passports applications are returned by secure courier delivery process.
Photographs should be in colour and strictly as per the specifications below.
- Un-mounted - 2 inch x 2 inch in size.
- Face should cover about 70 to 80% of the photo area.
- Frame Subject with Full Face, Front view, Eyes open
- Taken within the last 6 months to reflect your current appearance.
- The photographs must be clear, well defined and taken against a plain white or light-coloured background.
- Appropriate brightness and contrast showing your skin tones naturally
- Even lighting (no shadows across or behind the face)
- Face must be square to the camera with a neutral expression, neither frowning nor smiling and with your mouth closed.
- If you must wear a head covering for religious reasons, make sure your full facial features are not obscured.
- Non-tinted prescription glasses may be allowed as long as your eyes are clearly visible. Make sure that the frame does not cover any part of your eyes. Sunglasses are not acceptable.
- Headphones, wireless hands-free devices, or similar items are not acceptable in your photo.
- Photograph for Child/babies - The photograph should show the baby or child awake, looking straight at the camera with mouth closed and nothing covering the mouth. It should also show both edges of the face clearly (no toys, blankets, chair backs or other people visible) and no hair across the eyes.
View our Value Added Services for more information on how we can assist.