Who can Apply?
A tourist visa can be granted to a foreigner who does not have a residence or occupation in India and whose sole objective of visiting India is recreation, sightseeing, casual visit to meet friends and relatives and attending a short term yoga programme. No other activity is permissible on a tourist visa.
The visas are not issued from the future date to match applicant’s itinerary for inward and outwards journey to/from India and are effective from the date of issue.
- A tourist visa may be issued for 1 year with multiple entries as a default option and is non extendable and non-convertible. Consequently, the reduction in period of validity of visa sought by an applicant, would not alter the visa fees.
- Multiple entry Tourist visa for a maximum period of 6 months would be the default option for the nationals of the following countries:
Afghanistan, Algeria, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belarus, China, Congo, DPRK (North Korea), Egypt, Ethiopia, Iran, Iraq, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco Nigeria, Pakistan, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, South Sudan, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Syria, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Uganda, Uzbekistan, Yemen
- Foreigners applying for voluntary work in NGO’s must apply for an employment visa.
Checklist and Application Forms
Steps To Follow
The checklist for the application category that you apply for will provide details on which specific forms you may need to download. In some instances, there may be more than one form.
Complete a separate checklist and application form/s for each person applying. Ensure the documents are completed accurately and signed where needed.
Please refer to the table below and select the correct Indian Mission when filling out your online Application Form.
Please Note: Incorrect selection will require you to fill a new form.
Once application is complete refer to the VFS locations where you can submit your applications in person/send through courier.
Your Residential State Indian Mission Jurisdiction VFS Office Location (If you are sending your application through Post/courier VFS office Location(if you are applying in person) New South Wales Australia- Sydney VFS - Sydney VFS - Sydney South Australia Australia- Sydney Australia- Sydney VFS - Adelaide Victoria Australia - Melbourne VFS - Melbourne VFS - Melbourne Tasmania Australia - Melbourne VFS - Melbourne VFS - Melbourne Australian Capital Territory Australia- Canberra VFS - Canberra VFS - Canberra Queensland Australia- Canberra Australia- Canberra VFS - Brisbane Western Australia Australia- Perth VFS - Perth VFS - Perth Northern Territory Australia- Perth VFS - Perth VFS - Perth
Please note: you can only submit your applications as per the jurisdiction to the VFS office location as mentioned in above table.
Example: if you residing in SA and wishing to apply in person, you must visit VFS - Adelaide office.
Before you click on the complete online application form button below, remember you must print out the application form once completed online, checklist (one per person) and additional forms as indicated above if any. Return to this page to complete Step 3.Complete Online Application Form
Now that you have completed Step 2, you’re ready to submit your application. Make sure you have signed the application form/s and checklist where required and have all supporting documents in place.
Incomplete applications or applications with incorrect photographs specifications cannot be accepted and will be returned. Refer to Application and Service Terms
By Post/ Courier- If you decide to send in your application by Post/ Courier click here for details on how to submit your application.
In Person- If you decide to submit your application in person by appointment at an Application Centre, click below to book your appointment.Book An Appointment
Fees and Charges
Please click on the Fee Calculator Icon to calculate fees applicable. Fees for Visa services are subject to revision every month depending upon the prevailing Rate of Exchange.
For applications sent by Express post/courier to the IPVSCs:
Fees can be paid by Money Order/Postal Order in favour of “VFS Services Australia Pty Ltd” or by card, by completing the “Credit Card Authority form*”, and sending it along your postal application.
For applications submitted by appointment at the IPVSCs:
By cash in AUD or Debit or Credit Card/EFTPOS*
* Credit/Debit card surcharge of 1.20% applicable for card payments. Only Australian issued Master card or Visa cards are accepted.
Personal cheques will not be accepted at any time.
Get your documents delivered quickly and directly to your home or office.
Safe, fast and convenient - we’ll arrange the return of your documents and passports directly to you, at a location of your choosing.
Save time and travel costs, with no need to arrange multiple visits to the IPVSC at an additional service charge of AUD 22.00
Stay updated about your visa application’s status with our SMS service. As a part of this service we send automated messages about your visa application to your mobile phone and automated email messages to the email address you provided in your application form. Read through the SMS Service Disclaimer before requesting for this service.
Note: This value added service is available for local SMS only at an additional service charge of AUD 2.50
Support your application with high-quality personal photographs.
Want to ensure that your photos meet the required standards, or forgot to bring an image of your own? Not to worry!
Our friendly staff are available to photograph you, during your visit to the IPVSC, ensuring that you have a photograph that meets the quality standards required for a visa submission. It’s quick, affordable and easy, and our staff can handle it all for you at an additional service charge in AUD.
Save time and protect your valuable original documents with our Photocopying service. The quality of your photocopied documents is extremely important to your application, and with our Photocopying service, you can be sure that your documents are ready for your visa application. We offer fast, high-powered machines working on top-quality paper at our IPVSCs. It’s fast, easy and affordable.
You can get your documents photocopied in Black and White at the IPVSCs at an additional charge of AUD 0.50 per page.
When you visit the IPVSC, you will be able to make print outs of any documentation you might need for your application or travel.
IPVSC centres provide the service of printing of the Forms/Documents at an additional charge of AUD 1.00 per page.
Fast Track visa service:
IPVSC centres provide Fast track visa service under two categories- Emergency and Urgent. Emergency Visa applications are accepted only in cases of Medical emergencies/unfortunate event in the family whereas Urgent visa applications are basis urgent Business Travel. Please note that acceptance and processing of applications under these categories is at the complete discretion of High Commission of India, Canberra and its consulates.
Consular Emergency/Urgent fee of $141 + VFS Global Urgent Logistics Processing Fee of $88 (inclusive of GST) is applicable over and above standard fees based on Visa application type and Nationality
Strictly do not finalize travel plans before receiving the service applied for. Processing times below are average processing times. Please plan your travel accordingly.
VFS Global/Government of India would not be responsible for any inconvenience/problems faced as a result of finalizing travel plans before obtaining the relevant service.
Applicants sending their documents by Post/Courier are requested to ensure that they are completed and meet requirements. Processing times mentioned do not include transit time by post/courier. Transit times by Courier are generally 1-3 days on average and may be higher in remote or rural areas.
Incomplete applications will lead to an increase in processing time and applicants will need to comply with any changes in the procedure that may occur during this time. As a part of Processing Incomplete applications are returned and Courier Return fees will apply. See terms and conditions for further details
- For Visas: Turnaround times for Complete Visa Applications.
- Average of 5 Working Days: For Applications submitted in Canberra and Brisbane.
- Average of 5 Working Days: For Applications submitted in Melbourne.
- Average of 5 Working Days: For Applications submitted in Sydney and Adelaide.
- Average of 5 Working Days: For Applications submitted in Perth.
Most visa applications for Australian nationals and permanent residents of Australia would be processed with in the above mentioned period after submission of application except for below categories.
- A minimum of 45 days but could take more time
Nationals of Pakistan or any applicant (irrespective of current nationality) who previously held Pakistani nationality
- 10th working day
Non-Australians from countries other than Afghanistan, China, Macau, Taiwan, Hong Kong, DPRK, Iran, Pakistan
- A minimum of 4 weeks but could take more time
Nationals of Afghanistan, China, Macau, Taiwan, Hong Kong DPRK, Iran OR any applicant (irrespective of current nationality) who was previously a national of any of these countries
- A minimum of 45 days but could take more time
Applicants applying for conferences/seminars/workshops visa who are/ were Nationals of Afghanistan, China, Macau, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Iran, Iraq, Sudan and Pakistan (irrespective of current nationality)
Participants of conferences/seminars/workshops who are required to visit 'Restricted' or 'Protected' areas in India, or areas affected by terrorism, militancy and extremism etc. viz. Jammu & Kashmir and the North Eastern States.
Photographs should be in color and strictly as per the specifications below.
- Un-mounted - 2 inch x 2 inch in size.
- Face should cover about 70 to 80% of the photo area.
- Frame Subject with Full Face, Front view, Eyes open
- Taken within the last 6 months to reflect your current appearance.
- The photographs must be clear, well defined and taken against a plain white or light-coloured background.
- Appropriate brightness and contrast showing your skin tones naturally
- Even lighting (no shadows across or behind the face)
- Face must be square to the camera with a neutral expression, neither frowning nor smiling and with your mouth closed.
- If you must wear a head covering for religious reasons, make sure your full facial features are not obscured.
- Non-tinted prescription glasses are allowed as long as your eyes are clearly visible. Make sure that the frame does not cover any part of your eyes. Sunglasses are not acceptable.
- Headphones, wireless hands-free devices, or similar items are not acceptable in your photo.
- Photograph for Child/babies - The photograph should show the baby or child awake, looking straight at the camera with mouth closed and nothing covering the mouth. It should also show both edges of the face clearly (no toys, blankets, chair backs or other people visible) and no hair across the eyes.
There is one self-service Photo-booth available at each of our centres in Adelaide, Brisbane, Canberra, Melbourne, Perth and Sydney. The photo-booth is a self operating standard Adult photo facility and cannot be adjusted to assist with Infant, Children or Special Needs applicants’ photographs.