Only seamen who are nationals from a country which is required to have a valid visa to enter the Schengen space need to apply.
Please note that VFS Global offers an additional optional service for visa applicants in South Africa. VFS Charges an extra service fee for this service, to be paid by the applicant.
- For the official visa fees charged by the Dutch government, click here.
VFS service charge:
Apart from the visa fee, VFS service charge in ZAR 400 (for submission with biometrics) inclusive of VAT per application will be levied for applicants applying at the visa application centre.
- The only acceptable modes of payment of Visa fees are by credit/debit card (Only at the Visa Application Centre) and Cash Deposit at Bank and Deposit Slip (Original) needs to be carried as evidence of payments when submitting your application at VFS Global Netherlands Visa Application Centre.
The VFS Global Service fee will be collected at the counter:-
Visa Account details:
Below are the bank details for visas only
Bank Name: NedBank
Branch Name: Corporate Client Services
Branch Code: 198765 (Universal Code)
Account Name: Visa Processing SA - Netherlands
Account No: 1454112530
It is important that the following methods of payment will not be accepted: Electronic Fund Transfer (EFT), Cheque payments and any methods not mentioned above are currently not accepted. Please note that NO Diners club or American express cards can be used to pay for the application.
- All fees are non-refundable.
- Schengen Application Form - Please fill in the form Online and print copies. The copies must be brought to the Visa Application Center.
- Documents Required
- One recent (within the last 3 months), good quality, passport sized, colour photographs on a clear light background (grey/white)
- Passport, valid for a period of at least 3 months after the applicant’s last day of stay in the Schengen states. Please ensure that the passport has 2 blank pages.
- Full round trip flight reservation (name must reflect clearly with travel dates). Make sure that you submit your application at least 15 days before the intended travel date mentioned on your flight reservation.
- For non-South African citizen, a residence permit valid for a period of at least 3 months after the applicant’s last day of stay in the Schengen States.
- Seafarer Book copy (data page to reflect clearly)
- Full employment contract signed
- Invitation from the maritime agency of the Schengen State where the Sailor will join the boat. The invitation needs to be signed and with the Seal of the Agency and include the following:
- Name and family name of the seafarer Place and date of birth, passport number, number of seaman's book
- Date of issue, period of validity
- Position of the sailor at the boat
- Date and airport of entry into the Schengen area
- Name of the boat
- Port of boarding
- 1 copy of all documents mentioned above (passport: pages with passport photograph and personal data and previous visas)
- Travel/health/accident insurance: an insurance policy stating that the applicant is covered by a Schengen Travel Medical Insurance with Netherlands being mentioned on the Visa letter. i.e. minimum medical coverage of the Rand equivalent of €30,000.00 for all medical expenses, including repatriation dead or alive, occurring in any Schengen country.This visa letter or insurance policy must reflect applicants name, duration of cover for the full stay in the Schengen area. Only needed if seafarer does not have a seaman’s book data page
Schengen visa application form – Please fill form Online and Print Copies.
Note: The photographs submitted must meet with these specifications.
Please provide One recent photograph (not more than 3 months old) of yourself. The photographs should be in colour and:
- Taken against a light background (white or off-white) so that features are distinguishable and contrast against the background.
- Clear share quality and with the face in focus.
- Printed on normal photographic paper (camera print).
- Full face, non-smiling [without sunglasses, a hat/cap or other head covering, unless the applicant wears such items because of their religious belief or ethnic background].
Note: Please follow these instructions carefully. If photographs presented do not meet these requirements your application will be considered incomplete. Kindly download the Photo Specification file for more information.
The visa processing time is 10 working days under normal circumstances.
In case a nationality should be consulted with by other Schengen partners, the visa process will take longer. Please check at VFS if your nationality needs consultation before applying for your visa.
The Dutch Representation is entitled to request more (supporting) information from the applicant. Please be aware that the visa processing time in this case can take longer.
Applications submitted within 10 working days from departure can only be accepted based on well motivated & urgent arguments of the applicant (for example humanitarian: illness, death etc.) and after consultation with the Dutch Representation in Pretoria. Intake will take place at own responsibility of the applicant. The visa fee as well as the VFS fee(s) will not be returned if the intended departure date can not be met.
It may take considerably longer if any documents are missing or if further information is required. You are therefore advised to submit your application well before the date on which you are planning to travel.
The minimum processing time of a visa application is 15 days. Applicants are advised to leave enough time between the appointment date and travel date to have their visa application processed. No guarantees can be given on the visa application’s return date as delays may occur.